Recycled some music : would like some experienced heads to give me some advice

Home Forums Critiques Recycled some music : would like some experienced heads to give me some advice

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Krisemm
    Participant

Thanks Michael. As regards pricing, Im not contributing in the “race to the bottom” so I won’t drop my prices any lower than that.
    I’ll be focussing more on the non-ex and ex libraries. The RF stuff is just temporary and Im not putting my best music on there.

#27910 Reply
    Krisemm
    Participant

I actually think THIS is The Quote of The Day!

I think THIS quote nails quote of the day for me

#27911 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

I wish you the best success, and I hope you do well!!

#27912 Reply
    Krisemm
    Participant

If I didnt want the truth, I wouldn’t have posted. I can handle constructive feedback, and over the 15 years I’ve been releasing tracks online, that, more than anything, helped me to grow. Too much sunshine in life makes a desert. Rain is necessary and vital.

I can critique my own music well enough, and I’m the first to notice the holes before others do, and the ability to self-criticize is priceless, because without it, we would never expand and stretch.
    What I don’t know is how a music supervisor thinks when they go looking for a specific piece of music, and I find that difficult to judge.

Its one thing having a good track, but its another thing entirely to know whether its “useful” as a soundbed etc…

#27913 Reply
    Krisemm
    Participant

I replied to your comment Beatslinger, but I see you’ve now edited it, and my post now looks irrelevant.

#27914 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

I hope this answers your question; because we are creative spirits and need to be in celebration of each other.

Here goes.. There are several music libraries that are posting on MLR for new composers, and new tracks. Send it to them..

Hopefully this is not out of turn, and dropping names. But I have been seeing a LOT of great info here about “John Manchester/Manchester Music” and are currently writing compositions specifically to submit to him..

#27915 Reply
    Krisemm
    Participant

Thanks Beatslinger. I wasn’t really after names as I know everyone here kinda plays their cards very close to their chest, but thanks for that. I had a look and it does indeed sound good. Email sent already as there doesnt seem to be an obvious “upload tracks here” situation going on, and its more exclusive so thats a good thing. Cheers =)

#27916 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

But I have been seeing a LOT of great info here about “John Manchester/Manchester Music” and are currently writing compositions specifically to submit to him..

I wrote for John almost twenty years ago. As far as I know, he sold the library a few years ago. I had to approve the transfer of my tracks to the new owner. Maybe the sale didn’t go through. Maybe the new owners are still using the name. Maybe the new owners kept him in the game to run things. Interesting.

I still get royalties for those tracks, once in a while.

#27917 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

What I don’t know is how a music supervisor thinks when they go looking for a specific piece of music, and I find that difficult to judge.

I don’t think this is knowable. Many times I’ve read a music supervisor’s brief and provided what I felt was the perfect track that met the description exactly. Only to be passed up. In some cases I’ve heard what was selected and it made no sense to me at all. On the other hand, for some of my placements, I’ve wondered why they even chose mine.

Create what makes sense to you, don’t over think it. Submit, forget it and move on to the next.

#27918 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Thank you Michael for the information, and I will check into it before sending.

“I know everyone here kinda plays their cards very close to their chest”

To answer this. I do not. I love fair competition! But I have a few things I should say..
    1) I was invited by “Trevor Gale” to join SESAC about 15 years ago.
    2) The exclusives I am with do not take general/unsolicited submissions, and are by invitation.
    3) Last year alone I got over 600 placements; only using about 50 tracks..

#27919 Reply
    Krisemm
    Participant

Thats amazing Beatslinger. Thats my dream. I’d love to be like a vangelis of electronica and do custom work. That would be incredible.
    600 in 1 year. Thats almost one every 12 hours.
    15 years from now, I aim to be in a similar position, but I gotta start with small potatoes for now.
    I see it like planting a ton of seeds in a field. There will be a harvest if the conditions are right, but its not gonna be tomorrow.
    The seeds go into the ground and seem dormant, even dead, then all of a sudden, BOOM. So I gotta keep sowing tracks like seeds. Some will fall on stoney ground, some in the weeds, and some on good fertile ground its meant for.
    Having to don my Columbo coat and finding the good libraries is half the battle right now.
    Im going through the A to Z here and taking notes on any library with more than 20 comments.

#27921 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Now, I preface this by saying “When I was getting very low amounts of placements my first couple of years. It was because I was composing what I thought everyone wanted to hear, and what I felt would sell the fastest”. That way did NOT work. I got frustrated, and literally quit.

A Music Consultant heard my stuff that “I personally LOVED, was sitting on, and just knew it wouldn’t go over because no-one would get it”
    Those tracks ended up becoming the music that took me from a regular job; to becoming a full time composer.

When you write for everyone else; you forgot the most important person YOU need to write for!!

#27923 Reply
    Krisemm
    Participant

Thanks man. I appreciate that a lot. Very timely wisdom, and if I’m honest I was starting to feel I was having to set myself aside a little to get anywhere in this business, because ya “have to make what is selling”.
    I often think of the record exec who turned down the beatles and said “rock music will never sell”. Imagine being that guy when the beatles became the biggest band ever, and STILL outsell everything to this day.

I need to find libraries that want Vangelis for the 2010’s, and without CS80s. Only been at this a few months and signed an exclusive first, then a non-ex, but i’d like to have about 10 or 20 on the go to maximise the harvest =)

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
Reply To: Reply #27914 in Recycled some music : would like some experienced heads to give me some advice
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us