Royalties from US show via PRS

Home Forums PROs Royalties from US show via PRS

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    JoshM
    Participant

I live in the US and am currently writing music on a TV show in the US that pays royalties. I’ve asked my composer friend in the UK to provide some tracks to the show and I just want to make sure of the best way to ensure he gets royalties, since he is a PRS member. So I had a few questions that I figured someone on here might be able to answer.

Is it as simple and making sure the cue sheet has his PRS info for his tracks?

Does he have to have a publishing company through PRS, or just be signed up as a writer?

Does he need to sign up to Soundmouse?

Is it better to set up a BMI account and not go through PRS?

Thanks for your help!

#39627 Reply
    Orca
    Participant

Hi Josh, I’m no expect on this but I’m a UK composer and PRS member. I’ve had plenty of placements on TV shows in the US and did receive most of the royalties via the PRS eventually. So I would think that as long as your friend’s PRS details are on the cue sheet correctly he should get paid after sometime.

However, I realized that I wasn’t always getting the correct amount of royalties via the PRS so I am now a BMI member for the USA and Canada but with the PRS for the rest of the world. Now I get my US royalties directly from BMI and it works much better for me

#39629 Reply
    JoshM
    Participant

Awesome! Thanks so much for your help. That’s what I was thinking but just wanted to get some other opinions.

Have you signed up for Soundmouse or anything like that?

#39630 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’m in Soundmouse and BMAT.

#39631 Reply
    JoshM
    Participant

Thanks Art! I’ve definitely been looking into Soundmouse. Are there any downsides or reasons not to put your music in there? Have you found it helpful?

#39632 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’ve definitely been looking into Soundmouse. Are there any downsides or reasons not to put your music in there? Have you found it helpful?

No downsides that I know of but too soon to tell if helpful.

#39633 Reply
    MaxPower
    Participant

@Orca I’m also a PRS member from the UK and most of my income comes from the US. I do get paid via the PRS but maybe it’s worth me switching? Do you need US tax details like a TIN etc before BMI will pay you? I’ve tried jumping through the hoops set out by the IRS previously and it was a bit of an ordeal

#39634 Reply
    Orca
    Participant

@Art – Hi Art, I haven’t said this before but this is a great website and has been an invaluable source of information and resources for me while trying to get my head around how library music works! Thanks for all your hard work !!

#39635 Reply
    Orca
    Participant

@JoshM – You’re welcome. I have signed up to soundmouse and have uploaded some of my songs but need to update it. I don’t know how useful it is yet though.

#39636 Reply
    Orca
    Participant

@MaxPower – Hi Max. I had some problems getting US royalties through the PRS a few years ago and they weren’t very helpful or interested. I called up the BMI London branch and they were really helpful in getting everything sorted. I do have US ITIN number from several years ago but I don’t think it was that important in signing up with BMI. I would suggest phoning BMI’s London office and asking them about it. https://www.bmi.com/about

#39637 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Thanks Orca, for the kind words.

#39639 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

If you are registered to PRS, trust Me, you are getting better rates than us in The States!!

#39641 Reply
    MaxPower
    Participant

@Orca – Awesome that’s really helpful thank you

#39642 Reply
    MaxPower
    Participant

@BEATSLINGER are you saying we’ll get paid more for exactly the same usage?

#39646 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Correct. It’s a MUCH better organization than “Our Major Three” over here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Reply #39637 in Royalties from US show via PRS
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us