Royalties Netflix?

Home Forums General Questions Royalties Netflix?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ben E
    Participant

I noticed a TV show I recently had a placement on is streaming episodes on Netflix and probably other similar sites as well. Does anyone know if royalties are paid for this sort of usage? How about when the entire season of episodes is sold as a DVD? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

#10448 Reply
    Michael Nickolas

I’ve been paid by ASCAP for Netflix streaming. Another case of being paid pennies. An example – 744,178 plays of a 29 second background cue paid $2.36.

#10449 Reply
    Jay

wow…I never considered that as another revenue stream..anyone making any real $ this way ?

#10450 Reply
    Michael
    Participant

“An example – 744,178 plays of a 29 second background cue paid $2.36.”

Are you serious Michael N or dare I say,being a bit facetious.?

Michael

#10451 Reply
    Stuart Moore

He is being serious although I’m not sure how you found out how many plays the show had as my ascap statement doesn’t show this.
    For 3 20 sec cues I made a total of $1.90.

#10455 Reply
    Michael Nickolas

Hi Stuart, yes I looked back on my statements to find an exact example. I referenced one from 2012, but don’t remember which month. It did show how many plays.

#10483 Reply
    Ben E
    Participant

$2.36? Ouch! This particular cue was a full 120 sec. so I guess it would pay somewhere around $9. Still an ouch for that many streams haha! Was that payment of $2.36 for one quarter Michael N?

Does anyone have any experience with being paid for DVD sales of the show?

#10489 Reply
    Michael Nickolas

Yep, one quarter. Working so hard for these tiny payouts can get tiresome…

But yes, I do have experience with being paid for DVD sales of a show. It will depend on the deal the library made when licensing your music. I had music in a show on CBS one time. I got a payment when the track was licensed for the show, and a second payment when the show went to DVD. I suspect those days might be gone now and that a library will most likely include DVD rights in with the initial fee and you will be paid once.

#10531 Reply
    Ben E
    Participant

Thanks for the info!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Reply #10450 in Royalties Netflix?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us