Royalty Free Libraries. Should You? Who's Right?

Home Forums Commentary Royalty Free Libraries. Should You? Who's Right?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

Why not add cues like that to PMA libraries or UK exclusive libraries? You would give up the copyright, but your music would probably get used more often and make more money than most RF libraries. Doesn’t your top shelf music deserve a place with the top shelf companies?

There are a lot of reasons DI, none of which may apply to you. It’s part of a personal long-term plan.

I have several collections in UK exclusives. It’s not the holy grail. The story that “Tim” told is far from the norm. If you ask anyone who has cues in exclusives, sometimes the upfront money is the only money that you see.

Why not be competitive as possible? Many composers think that putting their “B” or “C” work into RF libraries is a good strategy. I don’t.

I’m very confident that the cue in question will easily make more than exclusives are currently paying up front. I’m also confident that the cue will do well over the years…more than enough to cover the time put in.

Autonomy.

#18472 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Why not add cues like that to PMA libraries or UK exclusive libraries?

To make sure that you understand…One does not just “add cues” to PMA libraries or UK exclusives. Those libraries plan ahead, and they are very specific about their needs. It’s a long process. I’ve always been given briefs / assignments, based on what the library needed…never just submitted random cues. Then….you wait. It can be several years, or more, before you make any money.

#18474 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

To make sure that you understand…One does not just “add cues” to PMA libraries or UK exclusives. Those libraries plan ahead, and they are very specific about their needs. It’s a long process. I’ve always been given briefs / assignments, based on what the library needed…never just submitted random cues. Then….you wait. It can be several years, or more, before you make any money.

I know.

I just had contact with one such library a few days ago. They are not releasing any new music until next spring. They want me to send in a demo album to see if my music would suit their clients’ needs. I will be working on this for the next few months.

But this is a long term plan. It will not be an overnight paycheck. Even if I do get accepted, my album may not make any money for years.

But why not give it a shot? I still have quarterly PRO checks coming in from all off the older music I have licensed.

#18475 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

But why not give it a shot?

You should give it a shot. I wish you the best of luck.

#18476 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

Quickly knocked up loop based tracks devoid of originality, emotional content or imagination. Music made by people who think that assembling a collection of pre-made loops is composing.

Wow. Nice definition of who you think is beneath you as an artist but what is your definition of a Royalty Free Music Library (as opposed to a royalty free music composer)?

#18477 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Quickly knocked up loop based tracks devoid of originality, emotional content or imagination. Music made by people who think that assembling a collection of pre-made loops is composing.

The most competent, confident, and professional composers that I know do not share this point of view. They see the big picture, understand where all the pieces fit in the food chain, and have no need to bash the RF model.

#18482 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

“Just a general question here to DI and everyone…
    What is your definition of a Royalty Free Music Library?”

For me, there is a much bigger gap between non-PRO RF libraries, usually with a fixed (low) license fee, and Standard RF libraries, than between standard RF libraries and Non-Excl. I avoid non-PRO libraries.

As for a definition, As I understand it, RF and non excl, in terms of rights, have similarities although some RF libraries may limit the licence, others will give full license to perpetuity on any projects the client wants.

I see the real difference in the marketing: RF you market yourself (Catalog is accessible for everyone, so brand your stuff and choose effective keywords), non-excl you benefit indirectly from the address book of the Library team. In addition, they will try and pitch for you, and tell you of opportunities via their briefs.

#18483 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

Royalty Free Music Library = Quickly knocked up loop based tracks devoid of originality, emotional content or imagination. Music made by people who think that assembling a collection of pre-made loops is composing.

But, you are in for a wake-up call.

haha! I only have 40-50 full tracks. Started exploring music as a bizz a year ago with 13 tracks. Focused on RF. I should check, but I am pretty sure all 50 of them or an edit of them sold at least once, and I am only in a small number of RF libraries.

I give my best and post it to good RFs…

In the meantime I continue to learn.

Only when I feel I can rival with the best of the super-best, I will explore exclusivity. Once ready, I will only go to the best of the best exclusives, those that get you pitched whatever. Very tough to get into, but that’s my bar.

I am pretty sure, there must be quite a bunch of composers like me on RF libraries… Just give it a serious listen…

#18485 Reply
    dekkard

Beastie boys, Coldcut, Fat Boy slim, Chemical Brothers,
    we could go on for pages and pages with these so called “composers”

#18493 Reply
    PROcomposer

I have listened to the MLR Jukebox. Thus, I am fully aware of where the bar is with RF Musak and it doesn’t appear to be very high.

IMO of course!

#18494 Reply
    LMFAO

I have listened to the MLR Jukebox. Thus, I am fully aware of where the bar is with RF Musak and it doesn’t appear to be very high.

People who choose to sneer from anonymity without allowing others the opportunity to hear their own genius level music have no right to be taken seriously.

IMO, of course.

#18495 Reply
    Mark

I have listened to the MLR Jukebox.

And those 10 or 12 composers are what you base your opinion of an entire industry on?
    I object your honor!!

#18496 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Nobody should be upset with PROcomposer. He has heard some music and dislikes it. That is normal. I do not mean to pick on RF libraries, but I myself had heard more poorly arranged and poorly produced music on RF sites than from some of the larger exclusive music libraries. The best way to prove him wrong is to show your success.

Anybody out there care to share your success stories from RF libraries? I know that I would be interested to see some great stories. It would be motivation for all of the others that are trying to build their own success in the RF world.

#18497 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Clearly trolling ….leaving this one alone.

#18498 Reply
    Chuck Mott

And no that wasn’t directed at you DI.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 131 total)
Reply To: Reply #18472 in Royalty Free Libraries. Should You? Who's Right?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us