Royalty Free Sites – Are Your Sales Increasing?

Home Forums General Questions Royalty Free Sites – Are Your Sales Increasing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Just curious. For those who have been selling music on royalty free sites for a few years. Do you see sales increasing as you add tracks? Sales stagnating? Declining? As the RF sites get bigger and bigger the pie gets sliced thinner and thinner. Your thoughts? No site names please just want general opinions and experiences.

#17481 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Bump 🙂

#17482 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

Pretty much dried up. This morning just got the first license in a year or so. Meanwhile, exclusive placements continue to rise. Some nice spots on network shows.

#17483 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Most of my income over the last 5 years has been from RF sites (just writing specifically towards TV placements for the last year). My pricing is on the high side. I never sell at garbage sites. – That said, still marching along but not nearly what it was. I hit a peak around late 2011/early 2012. Always trying to figure out if the genre preferences have changed or what has happened. And I always write to current trends when RF is concerned.

#17484 Reply
    gdomeier
    Participant

I’ve never had any luck selling cues on RF sites.

#17485 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Erratic sales for me. Some months I do okay, others I get nothing.

#17486 Reply
    56 Strat
    Participant

Sales have actually increased for me. But I’m now spending a good part of my time writing material specifically for the television market and will be for a while so it’s all to see how it will affect my RF sales this coming year.

#17487 Reply
    Jay

I’ve sporadically sold a track here and there over the past 4 years but it’s hardly been worth the effort and I’m with 4 RF sites..I have a large collection of sound effects for film/Tv/web that sell well though..

#17488 Reply
    AlumoMusic
    Participant

When I first started licensing my music out on RF marketplaces around 3 years ago (as this was the model I chose to focus my efforts on, catering mostly to the YouTube community), I honestly couldn’t believe my luck, as sales were very good, pretty much right from the outset.

I was fortunate enough to find a good selection of my music within popular item and best selling item categories on several of these sites, and continued for a good couple of years. Alongside this, uploading just a couple of cues a month would almost guarantee good traction and additional revenue, in a relatively short period of time.

How things have changed since then.

Since around last September last year or so, I’ve been watching a steady and continuous decline in RF license sales across a selection of these once-popular sites, with a couple of these sites no longer generating any income at all; despite an increase and regularity of uploads. Uploading music these days has become akin to throwing a rock into an ocean, regardless of how popular that music may potentially be.

I’ve put this down to a combination of two main possible causes; over saturation of the RF market, and more notably Google search algorithmic changes, with ContentID/YouTube centric RF music sites now appearing higher up in search results. I also believe the roll out of YouTube’s free music library has had a marked impact on sales, as users don’t have to go through the rigmarole of getting their videos cleared for monetisation with a license.

Whilst I’m still enjoying regular sales on a small handful of these RF sites, I’m not particularly convinced that things will return to how they once were, and personally I’m now in the process of looking to shift my sights elsewhere and consider other options.

#17489 Reply
    Guscave

Dead for me. My last payment from an RF site was 2 months ago for $80.00. All my action is coming from non-exclusive and exclusive libraries with good backend placements.

#17491 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

Deceasing for sure. I seem to do better with backend placements. I don’t think I’m a great fit for the RF libraries.
    I used to have a long list of libraries but have since cut that list down drastically to only arond5 or 7. Doing metadata for a bunch of libraries I wasn’t selling on slowed my writing down to a drip and was counter productive for a business where volume matters. I quit submitting to the ones that don’t do me any good which is most of them.I’m writing more music now.
    Seems now I have a better chance for placements with fewer libraries but more music.

#17494 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Good informative observations from all above. I should add that a month ago I went through my spreadsheet and blocked off all the under performing libraries. There were a lot of them, sadly. I am now focusing on TV placements with Exclusives and Non-Exclusives. There was a time where I must have hit it just right and did very well with RF……that time has passed.

#17495 Reply
    Musicmatters
    Participant

Yes sales have been very good on a couple of RF sites over the past month or so. Ex placements have been good too 🙂

#17496 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

I’m also slowing down my uploads to libraries that pride themselves on having 10 gazillion tracks. Great for clients. Maybe 10 gazillion clients would help.

#17498 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Flat I would say.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
Reply To: Royalty Free Sites – Are Your Sales Increasing?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us