Rumblefish, Youtube, etc…

Home Forums General Questions Rumblefish, Youtube, etc…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ComposerLDG
    Participant

Yes, another thread….I searched through the other multitudes of threads on this topic but couldn’t find the answer I was looking for, which may mean it’s a stupid question to begin with, but here goes.

I have some of my older, non-library songs on CD Baby and have digital distribution and sync licensing/Youtube monetization with them. CD Baby states the Youtube monetization portion of this is exclusive to them. However, they always refer to “your songs,” not “the songs you have delivered to us.”

So the question is, is the ContentID portion of CD Baby’s sync licensing exclusive as in the songs that CD Baby has in its catalog and are opted in, or exclusive as in, all of your music?

What I’m after is, am I free to sign an exclusive agreement with a music library for a song that CD Baby never had in its catalog? Would it cause a conflict if the library tried entering that song into the ContentID system?

Btw, I’ve since opted out of CD Baby’s sync licensing, and the removal is in process.

Thanks…now back to your regularly scheduled morning…

#23801 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

“am I free to sign an exclusive agreement with a music library for a song that CD Baby never had in its catalog?”

Yes, as long as that song isn’t signed anywhere else. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. 🙂

#23802 Reply
    ComposerLDG
    Participant

Thanks, Art. Yes, the song is not signed anywhere else, and was written specifically for the library.

I just wanted to make sure the Youtube thing wasn’t like picking a PRO, where they collect on everything you’re doing there.

#23807 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Yes, as long as that song isn’t signed anywhere else. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. 🙂

I AM a lawyer, but this is still not legal advice! 😀

However, it is practical advice based on my experience. I have music from several CDs that I sell on CDBaby also on AS’s streaming service RadioSparx. I make far more from RadioSparx than CD Baby. YMMV.

#23808 Reply
    ComposerLDG
    Participant

Thanks, Michael! Between you and Art, I’ll consider the matter settled. 🙂

#23809 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

To be clear — I’ve opted out of CDBaby’s sync licensing. I don’t want any Content ID issues with the libraries that I’m in.

#23812 Reply
    ComposerLDG
    Participant

To be clear — I’ve opted out of CDBaby’s sync licensing. I don’t want any Content ID issues with the libraries that I’m in.

Yes, I’ve done the same. Still, it’s nice to know that if one IS opted in, it only affects those songs that are both in CD Baby’s catalog and opted in.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Rumblefish, Youtube, etc…
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us