Selling Music Independantly

Home Forums General Questions Selling Music Independantly

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SCP
    Participant

I’m considering setting up my own website to sell albums rather than single tracks through the library system. Does anyone have experience with this? I know there’s companies like License Quote, but I’d like to go it alone, which sounds stupid, but I’ve had enough requests from RF customers that it might be worth doing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#22565 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

There are a number of shopping carts out there to set up a site using WordPress. I used WPeStore for awhile https://www.tipsandtricks-hq.com/ecommerce/tag/wp-estore-plugin-review but I currently use LicenseQuote.

Probably the easiest way is Mark Lewis’s free software https://musiclibraryreport.com/forums/topic/free-music-licensing-software-in-beta-testing/ and is the same software as his RF site MusicLoops. Great software and at some point I will set up a store with that.

BTW I host my music files on Amazon S3 and it’s very affordable.

#22569 Reply
    JD

I haven’t had much success with selling independently off of my website. I use Licensequote.com also. I do love their user interface!

I am very curious if anyone is having success (if any) licensing music from their own website? I’ve had a few, but not anywhere near the money to cover time, overhead, etc over the last few years.

That being said, I will continue… (maybe someday?).

I make it more “beneficial” to license through my site, but still most clients still go through libraries and pay more. A little discouraging.

I wonder if clients just feel “safer” licensing through reputable libraries compared to Artist’s sites? Or, I just have an amateur looking site?

#22570 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I haven’t had much luck but I’m in the process of rebuilding and will spend more time on it once completed.

#22571 Reply
    SCP
    Participant

@Art – Apart from figuring out the functionality of an independent site, how would you word the Terms of Use? So far, I haven’t had any issues with content ID or illegal usage working through the RF’s but being on my own I’m slightly concerned that I could mess up the legal side of things. Are there any templates out there to follow?

I’ve had several requests in the last month from students, teachers, instructors, bloggers who all fall under this category:

Willing to pay but can’t afford the $30 – $40 / track i’m charging through RF’s.

I really think that if more of us take control of our own content, we could serve a larger market, even if it’s just to supplement RF income. Just speaking out loud…

Thanks!

#22574 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

You could check some other RF sites and see how they handle it. Of course a lawyer is your best bet.

#27212 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Anyone willing to share their experiences with License Quote?

#27214 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Anyone willing to share their experiences with License Quote?

Been with them a long time and happy with their service. I host my files on Amazon S3 though, I don’t use their servers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Reply #22571 in Selling Music Independantly
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us