Seriously, Is it worth it, to follow "Music Sups" on Twitter

Home Forums General Questions Seriously, Is it worth it, to follow "Music Sups" on Twitter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    BIGG ROME

I gave this a shot (2yrs)to follow music sups on twitter. But it seems that they only talk to people they know or each other. Some speak all day about their cat/dog. When you spark up a convo with them.

The majority don’t respond…

I remember one of those conferences suggested to follow them on twitter, but none of them are really conducting any type of business online. For fear of too many people coming at them with BS Music.

Anyone else tried this method with success..

#11897 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Bugging music supervisors on Twitter is no different than bugging them through any other form of communication. If they want to be bothered, they will. If music supervisors do not want to be bothered, they will ignore people.

I don’t bother with social media these days. There is a lot of chatter about nothing. Most successful deals are usually done in person between people that are ready to do business.

#11898 Reply
    The Dude

Most successful deals are usually done in person between people that are ready to do business.

So you meet every library owner in person and agree with a gentleman’s handshake and a glass of scotch? You seem very matter-of-fact and uncompromising in your statements. You must be at the upper echelon of the library writing business.

Twitter is good as a directory, at the very least. Find names, research those names, then contact them in the appropriate manner.

#11899 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

So you meet every library owner in person and agree with a gentleman’s handshake and a glass of scotch? You seem very matter-of-fact and uncompromising in your statements. You must be at the upper echelon of the library writing business.

Twitter is good as a directory, at the very least. Find names, research those names, then contact them in the appropriate manner.

I apologize. I am not here to be a jerk. I just do not see the value of social media to make connections with music supervisors.

Do whatever works for you. I am by no means an authority figure. Conduct your affairs in the best manner for you.

Good luck.

#11900 Reply
    wilx2
    Participant

LinkedIn is probably the best social media site to do that kind of contacting, IMO. Twitter is better for showing off placements, etc., not necessarily directed at specific people.

#11901 Reply
    The Dude

Desire Inspires, sorry if I came off as harsh. I just hear a lot of the “social media doesn’t work, it’s a fad, etc…”. I just feel it’s a bit short-sighted, and sometimes it comes from people with a vested interest in traditional forms of communication (not saying that’s the case with you, Desire). I think social media can be utilized in unique ways, if you choose to think outside the box. But I’m always interested in what works for other people, though.

#11903 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

As a matter of fact, most of the library deals that I have done, prior to the advent of online libraries, were kind of like that. And, there were lunches, dinners, birthday parties and funerals along the way. The library business can be a small world, in which the owners of the top libraries, especially PMA libraries, know each other. So, while you originally dismissed Desire Inspires statement, face to face networking is important.

That said, I’ve also made many friends in this business through social networking, including this forum. As with traditional networking, connections are made, and doors can be opened. That is why I caution people on how they present themselves. I often ask myself, as a professional, “is this someone that I’d be comfortable introducing to
    this person or library?”

_Michael

#11904 Reply
    bigg rome

Most supervisors are like I mentioned. The majority don’t respond.
    But i have made to date close to $4,000 from social media contact.

See this is what i was talking about when I say “new rules”.
    From the old “20th century” way of doing things.

THE DUDE IS SPOT ON.

I rally wish the last thread wasn’t erased. it was a really good conversation. Things do not change unless thier is conversation.
    It’s too many people blocking “real” conversation.

NEW RULES PEOPLE WE NEED TO GET OUT OF THE OLD MINSET

#11905 Reply
    bigg rome

Also, it was a “FREE”, in the business world they call that profit.lol

#11906 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I rally wish the last thread wasn’t erased. it was a really good conversation. Things do not change unless thier is conversation.
    It’s too many people blocking “real” conversation.

NEW RULES PEOPLE WE NEED TO GET OUT OF THE OLD MINSET

Cool. Tell us the new rules. Put us up on game.

#11908 Reply
    bigg rome

The new rules, to use the internet for what is worth . Information.

Most people don’t feel like staying up late research digging and digging to find nuggets. They want things handed to them. and like I mentioned before, the older generation are not internet savvy.

See I made placments from various contests, indie film postings, and social media call outs. Its about being on top of your game.

This site along is proof , people are not research.

1. How many people we have doing music licensing 1,000,000+
    2. How many people know about this site alone (a small number)

What does that tell you that people are not informed, so they run to the old model for luck , which is outdated We are global now, but people are thinking in pre-internet world.

There are opportunities all the time on the internet.
    But the wise ones will catch them, the others will continue to pay out money hoping on a dream, being turned down and getting more depressed.

Art’s site alone is the beginning stage of putting in due diligence and driving your own car.

#11910 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Good stuff, Bigg Rome. Good stuff.

#11912 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@bigg rome. It’s important to try and keep the threads on topic. If you want to discuss the online world, promoting music, social media, the new world order, etc there is a forum for that specifically. Please create a topic there:

Online Promoting

Let’s try to keep it all in one place.

Thanks

#11913 Reply
    The Dude

I had written a post, but it didn’t go through, maybe it was deemed argumentative. Not my intention.

The gist of it was this: MichaelL referenced the past when describing in-person meetings. How many of those in-person meetings have you had since the explosion of internet communication? I’ve met with only two people when doing deals, and they were both from music houses that mostly deal with writing to briefs for advertising. I was more responding to the concrete “this is the way it’s done” vibe that I got from the post I quoted. I don’t doubt that this happens, and of course physical networking is important. But it seems to me that most deals are inked via telephone or email these days, especially with the RF and non-exclusive libraries so popular here.

I apologize if I was insulting, everyone’s opinion is valid. Just stating my opinion. Good night and good luck.

#11914 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@The Dude. I didn’t restrict any of your posts. Sometimes the darn Internet thingy just doesn’t work right! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Seriously, Is it worth it, to follow "Music Sups" on Twitter
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us