Short Changed On Olympics Placement

Home Forums General Questions Short Changed On Olympics Placement

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    NY Composer
    Participant

Hey Guys,

I had 4, 30 second placements to be used during the Rio Olympics.

Three of them were on NBC network TV and one placement was a re-run on NBC Sports (Versus).

Well, it turns out, on my BMI statement, I got a whole $6.79 for the Cable re-run and NO record of the live NBC network placements.

OUCH! Thank God I have alternative income.

#26986 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

It just seems to me the PROs are always looking for ways to not pay us what is due. Have you contacted your PRO?

#26987 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Hi Art,

Yes. I spoke with a lady at BMI who says they have to “Look into it”.
    I also was told the usual, they don’t acknowledge Tunesat due to a possible false hit. I got the detection’s by Tunesat and know for a fact that there were 3 Network placements.

I was rather peeved as you can guess. I’m pretty sure the NBC network spots are a decent amount of change.

#27000 Reply
    dCsoulplusmind
    Participant

Hi Daniel,

I would keep at it with BMI. They have been really good to me when it comes to chasing production companies / networks down to get cue sheets filed. They have done it on 3 or 4 separate occasions when Tunesat detected something and it didn’t show up on my royalty statement. Follow up with them on a regular basis until you get the answer you want.

Best,
    Dennis

#27002 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Thanks Dennis,

They insist that they “Don’t acknowledge Tunesat”, which sort of compounds the problem. I guess anyone who is chasing fees has to claim they saw all of the episodes themselves?

#27003 Reply
    dCsoulplusmind
    Participant

Yeah, they’ve told me that too, Daniel. Simply ask them if the cue sheets have been filed for that specific “episode” (for lack of a better word). Obviously, the more detail you can give them, the better. I’d even try to see if you could find the part / event / etc it was used on YouTube to show them. In my situations, if no cue sheets was filed, they’ll chase the appropriate person down for me.

#27005 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Dennis,

Do doubt. I am going to be relentless.

I am not able to find whole episodes or whole events on Youtube for the days in question. I’m guessing for copyright reasons, etc.

#27015 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

NO record of the live NBC network placements.

Could be the whole live broadcast, ephemeral use thing again. Broadcasters claiming an ephemeral use don’t pay sync fees. I’m not sure if that also means no performance royalties. Maybe someone else here knows for sure. Check out this video:

Ephemeral Use

#27019 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Could be the whole live broadcast, ephemeral use thing again. Broadcasters claiming an ephemeral use don’t pay sync fees. I’m not sure if that also means no performance royalties. Maybe someone else here knows for sure. Check out this video:

Mike,

Thanks for the link. It was interesting but I don’t think it applies in my case. My track was played in between events in the Olympics where Tara Lipinski was touring old Rio de Janeiro landmarks. My Bossa track was playing while she was talking. It was sort of like a commercial but actually still in the event while she was a host.

#27029 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

It just seemed like something to consider, because you were paid for the re-run but not the initial live broadcast. While you and I wouldn’t consider your placement “ephemeral”, the broadcaster may and is only reporting cue sheets for re-runs or “non-live” broadcasts.

#27035 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Mike,

It’s always a possibility.

BMI is still looking into this. I have not heard back from them.

#27049 Reply
    glengomezmeade
    Participant

Yeah they messed something up. I had 3 30s cues during the Olympics, 2 on the Today show and 1 during NBC Sports. I made $200 for them and then $14 on the cable rerun.

#27075 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

So the frustration continues.

I was contacted by the Beverly Hills office today. They reiterated that they looked into it and can only find a cue sheet for NBC (Versus) episode which was a re-run of the network Olympics. I explained if my track was re-ran from network NBC, then obviously it was on network NBC. They said they “Don’t have any info or que sheets for the Network episode”.

EXACTLY……..Someone didn’t care to file anything.

To make matters worse, they have no record of my Mecum Auto Auction placement with two, 30 second plays in the Denver episode. I found that out because I like watching Mecum and heard my track. It later showed up as a hit on Tunesat.

Again, they have NO RECORD of que sheets……..

Had to get this off my chest.. I am sort of agitated….

#27076 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Library music matters. It’s as important as hit songs – without it, no one would watch the crap they put on TV.

Watermarking. NO ONE can deny a watermark. Fingerprinting ala TuneSat is so 1990’s – and it gives your PRO the “wiggle room” they need to move your money where they want to.

Fair pay for library tracks – quit transferring money OUT of the TV payments for “hit song” super payments. Keep the payments where they should be. Enough with the creative accounting.

Better and fair pay for TV streaming – where is that money going? It’s out there. Why are we not seeing it – or more correctly, why are we seeing tenths of a cent instead of the pennies we deserve. I’m pretty sure I know where it’s headed, but without transparency, who can know for sure. I think most PRO employees actually believe their accounting methods. Hahahahahaaaaaaa!

Fair and transparent accounting with your PRO, and putting their bosses (yeah, thats us they work for US!) before industry parties, seminars and SXSW shindigs.

Keep hammering your PRO. Change comes slowly.

Daniel – sorry, I know this is frustrating for you. If I got all worked up every time they missed a performance I’d have been dead of a heart attack or institutionalized long ago. Roll with it, try to effect change without becoming TOO attached.

#27077 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Daniel – sorry, I know this is frustrating for you. If I got all worked up every time they missed a performance I’d have been dead of a heart attack or institutionalized long ago. Roll with it, try to effect change without becoming TOO attached.

LA Writer,

Thanks for the support. I do know we never get paid correctly and I have been down this road.

The Olympics placement was sort of special for me due to the amount of viewers and earnings potential. To make matters worse, this was not a good statement this quarter and BMI has no record of at least 5 – 10 ques.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Reply #27000 in Short Changed On Olympics Placement
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us