Should I allow free downloads of my music?

Home Forums General Questions Should I allow free downloads of my music?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    echoflex
    Participant

I’ve recently signed up with IDENTIFYY. They emailed me saying I had LOTS of money that was sitting unclaimed. Not true. I’ve been signed up with them for over half a year and I think I might have a few dollars there. But I was planning on signing up anyway and I don’t regret it. I like seeing where my music is being used on YouTube. Kind of cool. And of course I’m hoping more money starts showing up. TBD…

Since I have IDENTIFYY searching for my music so I can make money off of it, shouldn’t I just get it out there as much as possible? I’m trying to think of the downside. If I have about 100 tracks that are scattered around on various royalty free sites, they can still make money if someone wants to license it for their whatever. But if I turn on the download button on my Soundcloud (for example) and just allow anyone to download any of those 100 tracks for YouTube, is there a downside?

*If they just want to listen to it, great, please enjoy.
    *If they put it in their YouTube video, great, IDENTIFYY will claim some money for me.
    *If they put it in their TikTok….currently I won’t make any money…but maybe eventually they will start tracking that. Seems like someone will.
    *If they use it on FaceBook, IDENTIFYY is supposed to be able to claim this, but that seems to be only for HUGE artists for some reason. (See below).
    *If they use it on their website, it’s not like I would be making more than $10 had they got the track from Pond 5.
    *What if they use it in a promo for their company? Seems unlikely. Someone making a promo will be using licensed music 99% of the time.

FaceBook Issue:
    MY QUESTION TO IDENTIFYY : The dashboard has the YOUTUBE REPORTS menu/tab, but is there no way of seeing what is on FaceBook and Instagram?

IDENTIFYY ANSWER : Our Facebook Rights Manager account is reserved for Identifyy clients who have generated $10,000,000 USD or more in YouTube’s Content ID system first. Once your account surpasses $10,000,000 USD/yr, we can look at ingesting your account into Facebook Rights Manager.

The Instagram part of my question was ignored…And that number is correct 10 MILLION DOLLARS!!!! Are you kidding me? I followed up on that answer and didn’t get a response.

Is anyone else doing this? Giving away your tracks in hopes of getting them in random YouTube videos to get IDENTIFYY money?

#42551 Reply
    casnc1
    Participant

I think your idea is a good one. If they are a long-term non-exclusive part of your catalog, there is little risk to this, in my opinion. You’ll definitely pick up some additional Content ID revenue over time, and depending on how far and wide they spread, 100 + tracks are not inconsequential. I would love to hear the results in a year or two if you decide to do this!

#42602 Reply
    echoflex
    Participant

Hmm, I realize I put about 5 topics in one post – I apologize. Still curious –

Is anyone else doing this? Giving away your tracks in hopes of getting them in random YouTube videos to get IDENTIFYY money?

#42603 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

“Is anyone else doing this? Giving away your tracks in hopes of getting them in random YouTube videos to get IDENTIFYY money?”

I’m not doing it and I don’t think it would be worth the effort.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Reply #42551 in Should I allow free downloads of my music?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us