should I reitle own tracks for RF libraries

Home Forums General Questions should I reitle own tracks for RF libraries

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by JD.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JD
    Participant

Hi all,
    I have had some decent TV placements through a couple of NE libraries and am gearing up to submit some of my tracks to RF libraries.
    I have been studying MLR forums and comments and I know this question may have been answered before (sorry to repeat it).
    I am asking whether it is best, when submitting to RF sites, to retitle my tracks and is it advisable to come up with a new title (for the same track) for each new library?
    If I do retitle I assume I would have to register each title with PRS (my PRO) in cases where cue sheets are required by the library.
    thanks for any thoughts!

#31895 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I am asking whether it is best, when submitting to RF sites, to retitle my tracks and is it advisable to come up with a new title (for the same track) for each new library?

I used to do that but just too hard to manage. I will do it if a site has a far lower price than another.

#31900 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

it was a pain in the rear to add alternate titles for BMI if you already registered the main…only reason i needed to was the price difference like art said, and also a site that although NE, had issues with placing tracks in rival sites….both have changed their tune especially the price shopping problem, hence i dont do it anymore….same name across the board now

#31907 Reply
    JD

Thanks Art and boinkee2000 for your helpful replies.
    Some of the tracks I intend to submit have been registered with PRS by a library with their own retitles (their own code added to my title) and most of the others are as yet unregistered with PRS.
    Just considering my own retitles to avoid the problems I have read about on MLR regarding a client licensing a track from a NE library then finding the same track for a fraction of the fee on a RF site leading to a renegotiation of the NE fee.
    I know this issue must have been discussed on MLR but trying to avoid competing with myself. Apologies if I am going over well trodden ground, just couldn’t retrieve other posts on the subject after having come across them previously.
    Thanks again

#31908 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

after a while i noticed they have different markets and clientele to worry much. just try to avoid the low balling RF sites, theres only 2 i get consistent sales from anyway (maybe 1 soon) …the rest are dormant

in the end you would’nt even know if you got shopped, nor can you predict which track will be shopped next, and if so i doubt it happens a lot so just let it go…getting a sale/license is hard enough as it is that youre already lucky they stumbled upon your needle in that ginormous haystack

#31911 Reply
    JD
    Participant

Thanks bionkeee2000 for your thoughts,
    Yeah maybe I’m overthink it, as you say, just getting a placement is hard enough!
    Saves me a lot of time/work by just submitting t to RF with same title as tracks already represented by NE libraries.
    I will re-think some of the titles for songs rejected by NE libraries when submitting to RFs to make them more descriptive, they have not yet been registered with prs so it is not a problem.
    Thanks again!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Reply #31908 in should I reitle own tracks for RF libraries
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us