So, about those streaming royalties…..

Home Forums General Questions So, about those streaming royalties…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Vlad
    Participant

There were many atrocities on my ASCAP statement, one of which included this:

33 second placement on Catfish.
    Number of plays: 1,192,868
    Hulu streaming royalties for said placement: $11.48

Really? What planet is this?

Thoughts?

#39373 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

That is pitiful!

#39378 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Reading this topic, I did some math on mine. I got $146.34 for the category “Internet: Audio/Visual”. Total streams across all the services was 12,318,256. Average timing equals 26 seconds. Average payout per stream – 0.000012.

This is a big reason a 100 page statement pays out the same as an 11 or 12 page statement did 10 or 12 years ago. I don’t find it worth the effort anymore.

#39379 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Not surprised to hear this. It really does feel like the longer my statement is getting, the less I’m earning. Pretty disheartening, considering that I’m adding more high quality music every year. That dude LA Writer was screaming about this over the last few years….to his credit, he was spot on.

#39382 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@Vlad. Oh so true!

#39397 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Hey Art, is BMI processing the streaming royalties in a different way where composers aren’t getting railed? Not sure if you have access to the same info that we have at ASCAP.

#39398 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@Vlad. Don’t know about that. I do know that the income from streaming is a lot less than typical cable TV. I did have music on a Netflix show that paid much more like a cable show, actually paid very well. It’s called “Rust Valley Restorers”.

#39400 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

BMI pays pitifully little on streaming shows. $11 would be a good payment from my perspective. Most cues on streaming shows pay between $0.01 and $0.05 on BMI. Netflix doesn’t even have to declare the number of streams. It’s always “1” stream, and I’ve had shows that are “trending” on Netflix, and they don’t pay out much more.

#39401 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

That dude LA Writer was screaming about this over the last few years….to his credit, he was spot on.

Hmmmm…. Go figure…. LOL

#39413 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

I have some music on that show, and for comparison, this is what I got from it airing on cable (MTV)

$24 for one minute of music.

As far as I could figure out, the show gets about 400,000 viewers per episode on its first airing.

Maybe Hulu’s rate isn’t so bad after all.

I think that what we’re going to see with the future of royalties (streaming replacing cable) is that hit shows will no longer prop up the royalties we get from less popular ones. At the moment we pretty much get the same amount of royalties per show – just depending on how many re-airs an episode get. ASCAP gives a bump in the rate for very popular shows, but it’s not a huge difference. With streaming, the difference will be HUGE.
    I’ve been told by PRO employees that a hit show on a streaming service will likely make a composer more than they’d get on network (but for a short time, then the income quickly fades as the world is done bingeing the series). But an obscure non-hit will get a fraction of that.
    Maybe that’s a fairer situation? Certainly going to be a lot more brutal.

#39423 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Thank you to everyone that chimed in on this topic. Much appreciated.

I’m starting to feel like a career in pro wrestling might have been a better idea.

#39424 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Maybe Hulu’s rate isn’t so bad after all.

From what I’ve seen, Hulu is about the best paying of the lot…. I don’t have that many shows on Hulu, but they are paying out about (roughly) 10X’s what Netflix and Amazon are. Just by itself, more than all the other streaming services combined.

#39489 Reply
    Andy

I had literally 10sec on Clarkson’s Farm, which is a fairly big original show on Amazon in the UK, and I got £25 (about $32).

On one hand, it’s small, but on the other hand, if I got paid £25 for ever 10sec of music I had sync, I’d be a very rich man.

#39490 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Hey Andy, congrats. That’s a nice payout, love that show!

#39500 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Today’s international statement was 146 pages long. It paid only $232.96 more than a SIX page statement from 2010.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Reply #39382 in So, about those streaming royalties…..
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us