So how did you do in 2016?

Home Forums General Questions So how did you do in 2016?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    daveydad
    Participant

I did about the same income-wise as 2015 but made great strides in hooking up with new libraries looking for cues of various genres. Most were exclusive but it kept me busy and I still have many cues to work on. I really enjoy getting briefs to challenge me, some with short deadlines. No huge film placements yet but had a number of placements on cable and network TV. Hoping this month’s BMI statement is my best yet! So here’s hoping for a better 2017!!

#26470 Reply
    56 Strat
    Participant

My back end royalties were way up, almost tripled. My main RF site is up a little. The other main RF site is down, my main non exclusive site is down but a new RF site that i joined a few years ago is up. The bone throwers are still throwing me a bone once in a while. Because of the back end my earnings are up.

#26471 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

I’ve almost given up on RF sites, except for Pond5 which seems to bring several sales per month.

#26472 Reply
    UpFromTheSkies
    Participant

Way, way up (percentage wise) from 2015.

#26473 Reply
    Dannyc

are all of you guys making a living from your music?

#26475 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Nope. Hope so one day! Music (streaming, sales, licensing, backend, etc) only accounts for about 1/3 of my income.

#26477 Reply
    UpFromTheSkies
    Participant

Right now, it’s supplemental to my performance income.

#26478 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

Back end was up but RF sales were the worst I have had in the almost 7 years I’ve been doing this. Down over 30% from last year.

#26479 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

My income has been about the same for the last few years. Probably could live on it if I was in another part of the country. Here in SoCal it would be harder if I didn’t have other sources of income.

#26480 Reply
    56 Strat
    Participant

In response to Dannyc. I still teach guitar on the side for a steady cash flow. Fortunately we live in a part of Canada that’s not as expensive to live.

#26481 Reply
    56 Strat
    Participant

GaryW. Are you still submitting full length tracks without cut downs ?

#26482 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

Yes, all full length tracks.

#26483 Reply
    Per Boysen
    Participant

PRO backend, exclusive and RFs libs are all down a bit, except for P5 that has increased. In order to chase a decent income, I’ve increased my local concerts (which brings on hand-to-hand CD sales)

#26484 Reply
    56 Strat
    Participant

GaryW. I think if you make 60, 30, 15 second edits, stingers and loops I think you would have a good chance of increasing your sales quite nicely. When I started to make edits my sales shot way up, especially with the 30 second edits. My pricing for most of my full length tracks is the same as yours. My 60 second edits go for the same price as my full length tracks with my 30 second edits going for just a few dollars less. it saves the buyer the trouble from making their own edits. The 60 30 and 15 second edits make nice drop in edits which i think some buyers really appreciate. I would say half of my sales are edits. I even make 45 second edits which some have actually sold. Anyway, just a thought, and sorry about getting a bit off topic here.

#26485 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Hey GaryW,

I agree with 56 Strat, most of my sales are for the alt mixes, 30s, 60s, loops, DnBs. Most sales are the 30 second versions though. I think it will be worth your while to try this route.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
Reply To: Reply #26484 in So how did you do in 2016?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us