So what does this mean ?

Home Forums PROs So what does this mean ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jay

I recently got a new cue registered at my PRO and it was titled “show cues” (name of show not pertinent) anyway..I, along with 5 others (3 publishers 2 composers) are listed with an equal share – i’ve never seen this before..this is a piece of music I already have on that particular show and it’s registered once already i’m pretty sure…I also have two other tracks on that show and usually when it’s registered “show cues” I see a bunch of writers listed but like I mentioned this split is 6 way…again..what does this mean ?

thanks in advance…Jay

#11717 Reply
    Jay

I thought I would bump this as I THINK I found the answer…a certain library (I’ve read) sometimes takes a piece of music and adds on to it creating a collaboration..I recently read that in an article about this library and I think I read something here about it happening to someone else..it might have been in the paid forum though when I had access..anyone else run into this?

To clarify what I said when I started this thread..I have other songs on this show and then this new song appeared @ my PRO registered to me as “Show Cues” and the song had a title I wasn’t familiar with…again it had 2 other writers besides me and the publishing was split three ways..it’s been used a few times now I think on this show…I wonder if there’s any way to actually hear it?
    anyone else part of a collaboration like this ?
    Jay

#11718 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

You should contact the library and ask them for detailed info.

#11719 Reply
    Jay

Ya..I know but I try and not bug the libraries or my PRO unless it’s absolutely necessary…I try to figure out as much as I can on my own…just figured someone else may have had the same experience..Jay

#11722 Reply
    P-9

This is not done by the production company. It’s mostly done at ascap, but bmi and sesac are guilty as well. Pretty much this is done by lazy cue sheet entry people at the p.r.o.

#11724 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Ya..I know but I try and not bug the libraries or my PRO unless it’s absolutely necessary…I try to figure out as much as I can on my own…just figured someone else may have had the same experience..Jay

It’s not bugging if you have a legitimate complaint.

Plus, does the contract you signed allow the company to make derivative works based off of your original compositions?

If you are the original writer and publisher, no one else is allowed to make derivative works with permission and payment. You definitely need to “bug” someone. That sounds very suspicious to me.

#11730 Reply
    soundspot
    Participant

As p-9 said its just someone filing a sloppy cue sheet. I’ve seen it a few times in my statements as well, “show x cues”, “show y sports cues” etc… And I’ve also had placements where the music editor cut from my cue to another cue and back to mine and edited it to sound like one piece of music. Might be what happened… Either way it never hurts to try and figure it out, especially if a library were doing something potentially questionable.

#11734 Reply
    Jay

And I’ve also had placements where the music editor cut from my cue to another cue and back to mine and edited it to sound like one piece of music. Might be what happened…

that’s very possible as well..I really don’t think anything “fishy” is going on…every time I contact ASCAP about something I never hear back and then months later I see that the matter has been closed with no answer or resolution…to bug the library about it seems petty..they get me plenty of placements and they’re busy…asking questions here usually gets me answers..Jay

#11743 Reply
    P-9

At ascap, this is called a roll-up issue. Lets say you have a cue that appears in an episode 4 times for 5 seconds each, the person entering this cue sheet can, at his own discretion put 1 20 second instance instead of the 4 5 second instances. (saves time, right) This person can also call the cue American Idol Cues or whatever the show is called instead of the actual cue title and this is an accepted practice at the p.r.o. Unfortunately, this practice is not limited to that specific situation. Often, if a title can’t be found in the p.r.o database quickly, a person entering the cue sheet will enter the show title as the cue title to save time. This causes problems as the entitled parties are often entered wrong by the p.r.o.

#11745 Reply
    Jay

At ascap, this is called a roll-up issue. Lets say you have a cue that appears in an episode 4 times for 5 seconds each, the person entering this cue sheet can, at his own discretion put 1 20 second instance instead of the 4 5 second instances. (saves time, right) This person can also call the cue American Idol Cues or whatever the show is called instead of the actual cue title and this is an accepted practice at the p.r.o. Unfortunately, this practice is not limited to that specific situation. Often, if a title can’t be found in the p.r.o database quickly, a person entering the cue sheet will enter the show title as the cue title to save time. This causes problems as the entitled parties are often entered wrong by the p.r.o.

awesome..thanks P-9..this is the kind of info I’m looking for..I’m learning stuff everyday 🙂 Jay

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: So what does this mean ?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us