Sold All Rights to Song- Royalty Question

Home Forums Contracts Sold All Rights to Song- Royalty Question

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Candela

Hello,

Am unfamilar with the music business lingo, so I need some understanding.

I recently sold my first song…according to the Agreement, I sold all the rights to the Sound Recording (Masters) and Publishing (Composition)…but I will still retain all of my Writers Share.

That being said, besides my Writers Share royalties from BMI, am I entitled to receive any other royalties; or is that it?

Thanks in advance

#34639 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

If no up-front money was paid to you for the rights you’ve granted it is likely that any sync fees collected by the company would be split 50/50. Sync fees are separate from writers royalties. But, you are only entitled to what is outlined in the agreement so you’ll have to look for this language.

#34640 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

Candela, selling your publishing rights as well as your sync license rights to a publisher is not a good deal.
    From my experience, shared sync license revenue is a far better deal because sync fees can often hit $200 to $5000 for projects ranging from corporate youtube videos to TV spots. Even if a publisher were to offer me $1500 per track (with no sync fees shared ever as part of the deal), I’d be reluctant to accept that deal because I know that tracks can earn repeated sync fees over a 20 year period and the result is earnings far higher than $1500.

You will always get your writers share back end royalties from BMI if the music is performed on broadcast TV and cue sheets are filed. Ideally you want 50% of future sync fees and writers share royalties. How much did they buy the cue for?

#34642 Reply
    Candela

Thanks for the input !

They paid me $500 for a song, but unfortunately I do not see any SYNC royatly language in the agreement?

Basically it states. There buying and owining ALL RIGHTS (Sound Recording & Publishing).

As far as any SYNC royalties, there is nothing in the agreement concerning them, so how should I interpret that?
    Just want to know what am entitled too; or what to expect.

#34643 Reply
    Candela

Exact language (Copy and Pasted)
    Assignor hereby sells, relinquishes and transfers all rights, ownership and interest in the work(s), including all the Sound Recording (Master), Musical composition, Publishing rights, Digital rights and all other intellectual property in the work(s), to Assignee.

Then further down in the agreement it states:
    Assignor shall retain the Writers share interest.

So am assuming nothing from Mechanical or Sync royalties, no?

Sorry. but am just trying to educate myself about the paperwork side of the business.

All input is appreciated

#34644 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

You need to ask them to clarify your concerns about sync license fees and mechanical royalties. The PRO issue is clear: You get the writers share.

#34645 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Best guess is they will tell you because of the up-front payment, sync income is not split with you.

#34648 Reply
    Composer Of Notes
    Participant

Yes, it sounds like signed away the sync rights. I don’t think it’s a bad deal. You got $500 which is more than a lot of library music pays. It depends on how much it cost you to record the song, but I’d happy to sell library music for $500 a pop. Please tell us who is buying out tracks like that!

#34650 Reply
    tobytune
    Participant

I wonder if this is Fervor / Mighty Music you are talking about. I sold them rights for $500 to one of my songs. They placed it in the TV show Mad Men and also listed it in some libraries. They keep all sync rights and own the copyright as well. The only money I get is BMI writers and it aiin’t much. I regret the deal.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Sold All Rights to Song- Royalty Question
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us