Songwriters Submit Comments to the DOJ on the Consent Decrees Now.

Home Forums Commentary Songwriters Submit Comments to the DOJ on the Consent Decrees Now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    AaronM

I found this in my inbox this morning. Sounds like a topic for MichaelL and others. 🙂

Call to Action: Songwriters Submit Comments to the DOJ on the Consent Decrees Now.

#17359 Reply
    soundspot
    Participant

Submitted comments yesterday afternoon. Agreed, everyone on here should consider weighing in. It’s hard to say what impact, if any the comments will have… but it can’t hurt fighting the good fight for the future of our livelihood.

Cheers all.

#17366 Reply
    AaronM

I completely agree. The more the merrier on topics like this. It’s frustrating to see government siding with large corporations over individuals. It seems the work of composers and musicians is becoming less and less appreciated these days.

#17368 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

You need to read this link http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/ascap-bmi-decree-review.html

It explains the history of the consent decrees, and shows clearly that the government is evaluating the need for change. The very purpose of the consent decrees was to promote competition and fairness.

With all do respect to the “trichordist” it appears that the government and the PROs are on the right path with this inquiry.

The emotional rhetoric of the trichordist poster is inaccurate with respect to constitutional law, and in the logic of his assumptions.
    The poster cites the fact that he made very little money for 1 million listens on streaming radio. Keep in mind that 1 million listens on broadcast radio is just a handful of performances in a major market.

In other words, 1 million discrete “listens” on Pandora, does not equal one million plays on over the air radio. It is the equivalent of about four plays in a major market, which will might earn enough for a cup of coffee. Why is this the case?….because one performance in a major market might reach 20,000 to 30,000 listeners at one time. On Pandora, it’s one at a time.

What everyone is trying to figure out is how to make the new performance models economically viable.

BTW…composers already have the right to bypass their PROS and to enter into direct licensing agreements.

#17381 Reply
    soundspot
    Participant

Yeah, I can’t say I believe the “Trichordist” has his head screwed on very well, most of the time… I appreciate his passion for sure, but I also believe he’s taken it to an extreme and is putting out a fairly slanted (or not completely “informed”) view.

That being said, do we need a better model for digital performances? Absolutely. Just about everything will be delivered over the internet within 5 to 10 years and, although broadcast TV may not go away completely, the reality is digital will dominate how most people consume TV in the very near future. Or sure as hell looks that way…

#17399 Reply
    AaronM

The Trichordist guy came across a bit different to me as well so what you’re saying, Michael, clears things up a bit. It would be happy to bypass PROS if I knew of a simple work around.

And soundspot, I think digital will taking over at some point too. It wouldn’t surprise me if all of radio became a digital streaming platform with more accurate tracking to count listeners.

Here’s ASCAP’s take on it: http://www.ascap.com/press/2014/0806-ascap-doj-comments.aspx

#17403 Reply
    soundspot
    Participant
      Yeah certainly no disrespect to the trichordist, ultimately his concerns are legit and he’s fighting the powers that be with a fervor I can only ultimately commend…. I just think he comes across a bit alarmist at times and as far as I know has neglected to mention how the labels his songs are signed to factor in to his digital spin revenue… I’m sure if the figures reflected the labels cut, and any other percentages that may be coming off the top, we’d see a different figure than the one he’s famous for … Either way I commend his tenacity…
    #17404 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Wow, the Trichordist is a hero!

Finally someone not afraid to be loud and bold. We need this kind of voice and leadership out here. There are many people that agree with him, but just do not have the delivery to impact the masses.

Even if his approach seems a bit rough, musicians and other people in the industry should stand behind him and help him to spread the word. He has our best interest at heart and should be commended for his efforts.

#17405 Reply
    soundspot
    Participant

And soundspot, I think digital will taking over at some point too. It wouldn’t surprise me if all of radio became a digital streaming platform with more accurate tracking to count listeners.

Great example here regarding TV…
    http://vator.tv/news/2014-08-08-the-future-of-cbs-digital-only-programming

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Songwriters Submit Comments to the DOJ on the Consent Decrees Now.
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us