Sound City

Home Forums Share It! Sound City

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

One of the first sessions I did, after moving to L.A. in the early 70s, was at Sound City. Over the years I worked there a number of times, met an ex-girlfriend there (we remain friends to this day) and remember Joe and Tom (the owners) fondly.

For those who don’t know, Sound City produced some of the biggest records by a myriad of artists including Fleetwood Mac, Rick Springfield, Nirvana, Tom Petty, Fear, Ratt, Rage Against the Machine, Johnny Cash, Foo Fighters and so many more from the 1970s through 2011. Complete listing here. http://soundcitystudios.net/recordings-by-year

If you get a chance, see the movie. Brought back a lot of memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aybCW4x4Vc

#13769 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Bump

#13772 Reply
    euca

That is a must see movie! Thanks for posting. And once again I am in awe with where you have been and what you have done!

I remember reading about Dave Grohl buying the board, I’m glad it is still being used.

#13776 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

Thanks for suggesting this film, Art. I spent a really nice TV moment especially when travelling through these musical times when I was only a baby :-).

You did hang out over there? Impressive! Any crispy stories to tell?

#13777 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

You did hang out over there? Impressive! Any crispy stories to tell?

I was a session player in those days so you basically came in, did the gig and left (well except for hitting on the receptionist!). Lots of coke but I was never a big druggy so I didn’t hang out that much.

#13780 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

It reminded me of my “band days”. Crappy place in the Center of The Hague, yet full of energy. But when the singer had brought some coke at the rehearsal, it got me so p****d off, that he got really scared lol! Never again I saw him bring that stuff within the band again and, he told me later that my violent reaction made him stop being a user (we are very good friends).

A joint from time to time is pleasurable, but beyond that, the harder stuff is so destructive. Shame that the music world, that wonderful place we are so lucky to live in, keeps being polluted by destructive drugs like this.

Did you meet / play for some of these legends that recorded at Sound City?

#13781 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Did you meet / play for some of these legends that recorded at Sound City?

Not at Sound City (though I did at other studios). Some of the sessions at Sound City I worked on were engineered by Keith Olson (producer Pat Benatar, Fleetwood Mac).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Sound City
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us