Sound on sound magazine advice for library composers.

Home Forums Commentary Sound on sound magazine advice for library composers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Philtunes
    Participant

Hi whilst on a vacation / work holiday i have been reading an interesting review about how to get started in the music library world. Not sure if the mag is available in the USA but thought it might be of interest to other members of Music library report. I subscribe to SOS. In the uk. The review makes it look easy to get started …. I am not quite sure about some of the points.
    Hope it is of interest if you can have a read.
    Tunes

#27370 Reply
    Philtunes
    Participant

I don’t think I can copy and pAste the article. You might have to buy the mag or download . However, there are some really interesting reviews about software and modern recording techniques as well as the article. You can search for sound on sound on the I tunes store.

#27371 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

is it in the latest copy of SOS? if so i would like to take a look. curious to see what it suggests.

#27373 Reply
    UpFromTheSkies
    Participant
    #27374 Reply
    Philtunes
    Participant

Hi Up from the skies, yes May edition….. You have the link. I think you may have to pay and then you can download the mag. I regularly have a subscription.

#27375 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

thanks guys seems like it also might be useful for those of us already writing for libraries.

#27384 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

We do havs SOS in the USA. I have a mail order subscription.

IMO it is the most informative music recording/technology mag out there.

I have to check out that article…….

#27435 Reply

This was an interesting read, thanks for the share!

How do you guys feel about the completed-album approach that he suggested?

#27436 Reply
    UpFromTheSkies
    Participant

Hi SquarewaveMultimedia. That approach has worked for me with larger PMA libraries.

#27437 Reply

@ UpFromTheSkies thanks, that is good to hear!

I will have to give this a shot as well

#27438 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Hi SquarewaveMultimedia. That approach has worked for me with larger PMA libraries.

And it just worked for me last week with a smaller boutique library. Received a modest but acceptable upfront fee for each track.

#27442 Reply
    abbym

Thanks for sharing, I thought the article was well worth the $1.40 download fee (if you don’t already have a subscription).

#27444 Reply
    Philtunes
    Participant

Hi everyone the June part 2 read is out now.

#27449 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Hey Guys,

Great article.

I don’t want to over complicate the authors strategy but in his full album approach, is he sending a playlist of equally mastered tracks to the Libs and calling it an “Album” or is he sending an album in the physical sense?

He really did not get specific on that point.

#27450 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

everything is digital these days i doubt anyone sends physical media anymore.

actually this brings up another point. for any of you guys working with exclusive libraries, how often do you actually chat to your publishers on the phone etc? i kinda realized that some of the libraries i’m working with i’ve only ever spoken to the A&R guys once and for others actually never.

do you think its important and helps form better relationships with the libraries by chatting now and again rather than doing everything by email?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Reply #27438 in Sound on sound magazine advice for library composers.
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us