Sounds like/as?

Home Forums General Questions Sounds like/as?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Glenn
    Participant

Hello all,

I read about music supervisors use the term sound like … a lot to find music they need. Now I see for example on pond5 this is something that you can not use anymore. On the other hand I get the emails from taxi and they use It in every request. And is this technique still relevant?

Why library’s like pond5 stopped using that search and find technique?

Thanks!
    Glenn

#30518 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I read about music supervisors use the term sound like … a lot to find music they need. Now I see for example on pond5 this is something that you can not use anymore.

It’s all about liability both for the library and the library’s client. Some libraries do not want to take the risk of a possible Copyright infringement lawsuit.

#30519 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Libraries are concerned because of the recent Eminem case in New Zealand:

That said, the danger is in taking “sounds like” requests too literally and copying a song instead of just capturing its feeling. Too many composers cross the line and literally copy others’ works, only changing a note here and there, thinking that’s sufficient. It isn’t. Infringement has been found in as few as three notes! The problem is then compounded by using titles like “Eminem Esque” or “Star Warz,” which point directly to the work that’s been copied.

Keep in mind that often editors and media types don’t speak the language of music, so all they can do is offer comparisons to express what they want, which is usually just a feeling or mood. This article sums it up fairly well.

Composers need to understand that they are taking a risk. I haven’t seen a library contract that does not require the composer to indemnify the libary for infringement actions, which means that you could be on the hook for potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars.

#30520 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

What MichaelL said. Thanks Michael!

#30522 Reply
    Glenn
    Participant

It’s all about liability both for the library and the library’s client. Some libraries do not want to take the risk of a possible Copyright infringement lawsuit.

Libraries are concerned because of the recent Eminem case in New Zealand:

Thanks Art and MichaelL!

That explains it all 🙂

#30524 Reply
    cyberk91
    Participant

and then we have the Led Zeppelin case did they rip off Spirit’s 1967 song Taurus?..……..just wondering….. if Infringement has been found in as few as three notes!……..How did Led Zeppelen beat this… where is the line drawn on infringement it seems to be a shady area to me unless you can afford a very very good attoney to bail you out if you cross that line probably wise not to even chance your song sounding like another one .but are there not only 12 notes per octave in the western scale so are we all guilty?

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36611961

#30603 Reply
    composer man

Whom ever has the deepest pockets. makes the rules. The Golden Rule. If they have the gold they will make the rules. best now tempt unless you can measure up to a battle like that.

#30607 Reply
    jdstamper
    Participant

The recent Blurred Lines court case unfortunately blurred the lines even more on what is covered by copyright.

Taxi doesn’t tell you to create sound likes, each Taxi listing has strong language against copying the references in any way, but to use the references as a general guide as to the genre. Taxi will often say you should create music that “could be heard on the same playlist” as the references.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Reply #30524 in Sounds like/as?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us