Spotting trends in Library styles?

Home Forums Commentary Spotting trends in Library styles?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Vyv

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any thoughts, or better still statistics, about the popularity of certain types of music in the Library world?

The release of the Spitfire Hans Zimmer collection today had me reaching for my credit card until I thought, does the world really need yet more frenzied Taiko drumming over epic orchestra tracks, surely there must be millions of them, do they actually earn any money?

I notice that here in the UK there was a marked increase in the amount of ruminative solo piano going on behind TV programs a few years ago, don’t know how long that will last. I think I read somewhere online that the market for “heroic” orchestral (presumably John Williams style) stuff remains brisk but not sure how true that is either. On the other hand I feel there’s less ‘kitsch’ stuff than in the glory days of Eurotrash in the noughties.

But all this is just my feelings from watching UK terrestrial TV. Does anyone have a more scientific view?

#13672 Reply
    MuscoSound
    Participant

Some libraries allow you to search sales data on different styles and genres which might answer your question. I guess it kind of depends on the library and the market they go after, but if you can find a trend in the sales data it might help you narrow it down.

#13737 Reply
    Wildman

A lot of my simple and easy going pop music is used on TV besides rock, folk music, suspense and underscore type of music.
    Bombastic orchestral music is used in movie/cinema trailers, syfy channel etc. but not necessarily for ordinary daytime tv shows.
    At least that is my experience 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Spotting trends in Library styles?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us