Starting point

Home Forums Newbie Questions Starting point

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Danny Truitt
    Participant

I’m a “newbie” to production music–I haven’t uploaded my first track yet–but I’ve “knocked around” in the music business most of my life (and I’m pretty old, so that’s quite a while!). Most of my efforts over the years have been directed toward writing songs with the intention of getting them recorded by currently popular artists, primarily in the country genre. As I’m sure everyone here knows, that business model has changed drastically over the last two or three decades and has very little resemblance to what it looked like when I began my journey.

For the last two weeks, I have spent a lot of time reading posts here and doing other research related to the production music thing. I have been somewhat overwhelmed with the different licensing models and contract options, but with the help of the wisdom of the MLR community, I’m getting a grip on it.

With that said, I would like to briefly lay out what looks to me to be a reasonable place for me to start, and receive input as to whether or not those of you who have been in this for a while think it makes sense.

Since all I have currently are complete songs, with lyrics, I will try to place those with either exclusive or non-exclusive agencies, looking for possible sync fees and back-end royalties. For new material, I will concentrate primarily on music beds and instrumentals, designed primarily to be placed with RF agencies.

Comments welcomed,

Danny Truitt

#23729 Reply
    Judson Hurd

Danny,

Welcome! I am new on Music Library Report and it has been a great resource. What kind of music do you write?

#23730 Reply
    Paolo

welcome dtruitt to the forum.

Your plan sounds reasonable to me as well. One additional idea I would consider: creating one or two instrumental versions of your songs – no vocals and possibly a bed.

It’s common enough for a client/library to ask for an instrumental version(s) so having a no-vocal version could help enhance marketability and placements.

Best of luck.

#23733 Reply
    Slate64
    Participant

Hello. Nice to meet you. I am an older songwriter too, and started my sync business in 2013. Here is my take on things.

1) Get a PRO and create your own Music Publ. Co. to increase your revenue.
    2) Make vocals & instrumentals of almost every track you produce.
    3) Read the fine print in the catalog. Some will not accept your work if your work is placed on certain competitor lists.
    4)If you submit as “exclusive” then be true to your word. Or one day you will lose your account.
    5)Expand your genre. If Country is your genre, also write in related genres, such as rock-a-billy, bluegrass, Americana, etc. Diversity will increase your target.
    6) Submit to several catalogs, but, see #3 & #4 above.

Just my take on things. Hope you find something useful in there. Good luck. ~~peace ~jamie

#23734 Reply
    dtruitt

Judson, I started out in R&B (the old R&B) in the Shoals (Muscle Shoals, Alabama) in the late ’60s. I kind of migrated to country in the mid to late ’70s when things cooled off in the Shoals. Thanks for the welcome.

Paolo, thanks for your tips and welcome.

Jamie, thank you, too. And, yes, there is something useful in there.

I appreciate it, guys. Look forward to seeing you around here.

Danny

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Starting point
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us