Submission quantities after being accepted

Home Forums Newbie Questions Submission quantities after being accepted

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jazzguy07
    Participant

Hey everyone! I first want to say thank you to Art for creating such an amazing site. I’ve been learning from all of the composers over the last several weeks, and I’m thankful for all of your insight and suggestions!

I realize my question may be more of an opinion that varies, but after you have been accepted to a library, how often do you submit more songs to that one to be added?

I’ve taken the advice of several on here and I’m writing every day. Do you submit each track once you have finished composing it, or do you normally wait to have a certain amount like 5, 10, more etc?

Thanks for your suggestions!

#15205 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Your going to hate me for this, there is no right answer. It really is site specific. As a very general rule 3-5 at a time at monthly intervals, on the assumption that you have few tracks already there. Some sites could be very different.

#15206 Reply
    Scary_Bodega
    Participant

I think it depends on how each library operates.

For instance, there is one formerly non-exclusive library I give stuff to. They take awhile to process what you give them and while they are processing, you can’t upload anything else. So, in that case it makes sense to save up a big batch and give it to them all at once.

In another instance, an RF library I give stuff to, lets you upload as much as you want, whenever you want. Doesn’t matter if you have submitted material waitning to go on-line or not.

Other libraries are very extensive in their tagging requirements and batch uploading to them can turn into a day-long chore, so one or two at time can be more attractive.

Just a few examples.

#15641 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Can I put a spin on this question? Really the answer I’m looking for is not to go back and continue to work on the track if I think it will improve it. Rather the question for more experienced composers is when you have a goal to write a track a week, and you put a timeline on it, do you ever write a track that is strong enough where you say, I’m going to bend that rule and go back and really whip this one into shape because it is strong enough that the extra time would be worth it? And what has been your experience? Has it been worth it? I’ve been at this long enough now where I feel I can be objective in thinking some tracks/ ideas are stronger then others. I try to do a track a week – sorry but I work full time and play in a gigging band so time is a bit limited….can’t help but think on some of my tracks if I would have went back , maybe put a bit more time into production, arrangement, well….trying to find a good balance between quantity and quality…..

#15650 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Hi Chuck, there’s nothing wrong with that – quality often trumps quantity!

I write full time and sometimes a track will take me longer than a week. When I was fully immersed in the reality TV world, churning out several cues a day was the norm, but after making a gradual transition to trailer music, tracks have taken longer and longer to finish.

#15656 Reply
    Steve Ballard

Chuck, let me ask you this. Which would you want to be known for? Quality or Quantity.

#15660 Reply
    Chuck Mott

True Steve but you can also spend tons of hours on a track, lose your objectivity, and have the thing turn out to be only marginally better when your time would have been better spent producing tracks. You can also polish the track into what you think is a real jewel only to have it sit there. I suppose it’s a balance and experience is the best teacher. In a perfect world I’d be known as the guy who can produce quality tracks quickly. I still maintain that some tracks, really, are as good as they are going to get no matter what I do to them, and some would benefit from a but more TLC – not that they have been bad (IMHO) but at times when I had spent the extra time I was glad I did it….ideas were better, track was tighter overall.

#15661 Reply
    Chuck Mott

AND BTW thanks to all who responded so far. AND yes, Mark, the quality of that epic trailer music you write is off the charts….

#15694 Reply
    mscottweber
    Participant

In RF land it seems like uploading one track a day would be better than batch-uploading, since that would keep your profile more visible on the “New Tracks” section of the site. I started doing that about 6 months ago (write a bunch of tracks, then upload them one per day, then do it again when I’ve accumulated another bunch), but its hard to tell if its really had a positive effect on my sales. Does anyone else take this approach on Royalty Free sites?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Submission quantities after being accepted
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us