Submitting to libraries while seeking publishing a mistake?

Home Forums Newbie Questions Submitting to libraries while seeking publishing a mistake?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Hmmmmm….. Jeremy’s post sounds like an advertisement to me.

My thought exactly.

#25442 Reply
    annie

may I please ask a slightly different but related question.

I already have someone repping my work as a sync agent in a non-exclusive deal and who is only taking half of the upfront, and not taking any publishing.

(it is my belief that all of the reputable sync agents are working this way and not taking publishing. only the shady sync agencies are cheating in on the publishing, without really providing full publishing services or an advance, btw)

would it be possible for me to place my instrumental and instrumental with lead (mixes with a single instrument replacing the vocal line) mixes in a few non exclusive libraries, clearly marking them as INST or INST W/LEAD mixes. and never providing them with the vocal mixes?

this idea came about because I know so many artists whose vocal mixes are not even wanted or touched by the libraries. In fact, have a friend who gave up even submitting his vocal mixes and only submits his instrumental mixes because in the past the libraries never wanted his vocal mixes, anyway, or they never manage to place those, they only place his instrumentals…. so I know he has successfully just submitted instrumentals and had those placed many times over and has placed those instrumentals in many libraries.

what I’m thinking of doing is not that different. It’s just that if a library did place my instrumentals and then turned around and asked me for the vocal mix later, because suddenly it was discovered that I have those and they are wanted, I would have to be able to say, I’m sorry I placed only the instrumental with you.

Note: I am not talking about placing anything at all with an exclusive publisher. everything I am discussing is non exclusive. I am talking about a method to get the music working in more places faster, as a way to get more income going on the music faster.

(PS I like the idea of taking the stems and recombining with a few new elements to make new instrumental tracks, thanks for that tip, but I want to understand this issue first, because as I said, I have a friend who is successfully placing his instrumental only mixes with libraries and I want to understand why I can or could not do that too, or what the hazzards would be)

#25451 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

would it be possible for me to place my instrumental and instrumental with lead (mixes with a single instrument replacing the vocal line) mixes in a few non exclusive libraries, clearly marking them as INST or INST W/LEAD mixes. and never providing them with the vocal mixes?

Can’t see how that would be a problem as long as they are all non-exclusive libraries. You would NOT want to place one version with an exclusive library and another with a non-exclusive.

#25454 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

The only potential issue might be with youtube contentID as the CID algorithm will trigger the underlying music whether there is a lead vocal, or lead instrument or no lead at all.
    This might create an issue if your vocal versions actually do get picked up by a label or publisher and they then register the music with youtube contentID (as they should). In this scenario any instrumental version you have licensed for use on youtube will receive a copyright notice from the record label that owns/represents your vocal version.

Just something to keep in mind.

#26458 Reply
    Russell Emanurl

No decent company should be charging for submissions

#29009 Reply
    Russell Emanuel

You should NEVER shave to pay to submit your music to a library… not cool!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Reply #25454 in Submitting to libraries while seeking publishing a mistake?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us