Subscription Models Must be Destroyed!

Home Forums Commentary Subscription Models Must be Destroyed!

• This topic has 59 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 5 months ago by AKMusic Productions.
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Yep. Going to edit a bit and it disappears. Same as always. I love this site, and it’s so helpful, but it’s about as archaic a site as I’ve seen in the last 10 years…. Very frustrating.

You could not edit because the original post had a profane word and went to moderation, thus no editing. If you continue to use profanity in a post it will always go to moderation!

It’s either robust spam tools or me chasing spam all day and that ain’t gonna happen! 🙂

#28805 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

I can guarantee you that I had no profanity in the post.

[edit] Oh, I guess is said pixxed off. didn’t know that was considered profanity. Sorry…. 🙂

#28806 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Oh, I guess is said pixxed off. didn’t know that was considered profanity. Sorry…. ?

No problem.

I spent four years in the Marine Corps so there isn’t anything I haven’t heard before. I drop more than my share of F bombs, especially in the current political climate. Profanity is a pet peeve of mine, on forums, so that’s why I try to run a profanity free site.

#28807 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

No worries here. I figured if I could say it in front of my wife and not get a scowl, it must not be profanity. LOL Wrong I guess….. 🙂

#28808 Reply
    TechNoiZ
    Participant

Sorry in being a bit dense here .. but would you also include yearly blanket deals as being in (roughly) the same bracket as the subscription model?

Great discussion so far ..

#28810 Reply
    PeteJ
    Participant

Nothing to add except to express bafflement as to why anyone would allow a library to sell their music in this way.

#28813 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Nothing to add except to express bafflement as to why anyone would allow a library to sell their music in this way.

IN my case it was an existing library that I had worked for moving music that was already legitimately signed over to them non-exclusively INTO one of these subscription models libraries without permission. It was obvious to me that this was a sleazy move on their part, and that it would definitely hurt my other non-exclusive placements. After discussing our contract, I told them they did not have permission. That ended our relationship – permanently. It seems they are heavily weighting this new subscription model in their business plan.

Luckily, this library has not shown up in the MLR listings, and I don’t even want to mention it’s name as giving it any exposure is dangerous IMO. If it ever shows up here, I will no doubt give it a scathing review. 🙂

#28814 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

PS – this particular company sells it’s licenses via subscription for between $0.10 and $0.20 cents a track.

#30128 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

So what do you know, A company that was licensing my music on a 1 track sold = 1 royalty paid basis that now transformed to Subscription wrote me an e-mail.

“I hope you’re doing well! Attached is your final report for Q3. This is just the remaining standard licenses for Q3. The corresponding payment was sent to your PayPal. Enjoy your summer and let me know if you need anything!”

My statements used to show a lot of $15, $25, $40 kinds of royalties. This recent statement was .96 cents!!!!!!! Every tune licensed paid me a royalty of 96 cents.

Can you all now see how destructive these models are????

WHY WHY WHY Are you participating? Do you like devaluing yourself by 99%

This is from the company that engineered some sort of formula where magically 80% of all subscription revenue remained for the company…20% goes to the “royalty pool”. So I guess in July Aug and September of 2017 (When I had no idea my music was being licensed within this new model) I earned $12.

Under normal licensing circumstances, this would have net me probably $200

13 Licenses paid $12 total revenue. Sickening!

Please everyone, remove your music from companies NOT PAYING YOU, or transitioning to subscription. I guarantee you these crooks will cook up subscription models, devalue the entire industry over night and you will watch your revenue tank. Yes it is the site operators who are launching this destructive devaluation, but complicit and lazy composers (who do not want to order take downs) are to blame too.

#30129 Reply
    88Keys
    Participant

Founder of Soundstripe reports 1,000,000 licenses a year in this podcast:

Also offers tracks for $2 in partnership with https://rocketium.com
    https://rocketium.com/academy/soundstripe-integration-in-rocketium/

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 60 total)
Reply To: Reply #32402 in Subscription Models Must be Destroyed!
Your information: