Subscription Survival…..

Home Forums Share It! Subscription Survival…..

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

But this is what is so mind boggling, frustrating, and confusing: you have a group of talented folks in “Music City” clearly they have some knowledge about this business …Then they serve up a $135 a year subscription scheme to provide cost savings to people who are A. not at all in need of it and B. probably not even asking for it.

That’s possibly the product of devaluing this type of commercial music in their own minds, and seeing it as nothing more than fast-food burgers on a grill that will generate another revenue stream.

But, TBH there are a lot of musical “Pampers” out there that are completely disposable. What value do we put on those in comparison to high-quality tracks, Music1234? What are those disposable tracks worth?

What if libraries like AJ and P5 only put tracks into their subscription plans from a pool of tracks that has never sold, creating some income for us from tracks that had previously generated none?

#29984 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

Michale L, I honestly think that tracks that never sold ought to just fall off the assembly line and go away. If I was running a big stock music licensing site, I’d have the track auto delete after 1 to 2 years if it never sold. We should not be dumping the price down and trying to lure customers with tracks they already passed on. I don’t see that as a good strategy. Or I guess let them sit their in search at the bottom of the digital pile.

The Nashville company is not using dump unsold tracks as a strategy. See there presentation at NAB.

Also, why the “NO PRO” talk from a Music city company when I inquired about worldwide advertising campaigns for Billion dollar burger companies? explain that?

Let me address really old, dated sounding tracks…you just never know. I have had 2 experiences in the last month that brought a smile to my face where a customer paid good money – not $20, for tunes I THOUGHT were irrelevant, dated, really just dead as a door nail. It was not the case in their mind!! Thank you for the bonus!

#29985 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Let me address really old, dated sounding tracks…you just never know. I have had 2 experiences in the last month that brought a smile to my face where a customer paid good money – not $20…

Same here. Sold a 35-year old track (remastered) for 4x the sticker price. It happens.

I really don’t know what the Nashville people are thinking excpet perhaps they’ve tried it our way and think they can make more predictable upfront money from subscriptions. Maybe they’re inspired by Protools and all the tech companies offering software subscriptions…the wave of the future, etc etc. On the other hand maybe it’s like car leasing, allowing people to have something that they can’t afford to buy.

#29986 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

Question for all writers and publishers:

Has anyone ever heard a client say “Gee tracks are so expensive these days, I wish I could find cheaper music?”

#29987 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Has anyone ever heard a client say “Gee tracks are so expensive these days, I wish I could find cheaper music?”

In the world of clients, as in professional media producers, no.

Sadly, if you include the guys posting “how to remove AJ audio watermark” tutorials on youtube, because they think AJ’s prices are outrageous, then I guess, yes. But, TBH, they don’t seem to be inclined to pay anything.

A lot of that may be coming from people who hope to make money creating youtube videos. Of course, those hopes are more attenuated now that youtube is demonitizing channels with fewer than 1,000 subscribers. Goodbye to all those “how to make sweaters from dryer lint” videos.

#29989 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

Well I’ve actually have heard professional media clients make comments about how ridiculously cheap music is. I’ve had customers write privately and offer a lot more money. “Excuse me, but we need to upgrade this.”

Goodbye to all those “how to make sweaters from dryer lint” videos.

Yes! let them go straight to the garbage can.

You see more and more, youtube (GOOGLE) is becoming a TV network. In my opinion, it IS the largest TV network in the world with the most amount of channels in the world. All of us here, publishers and writers, should be putting pressure on lawmakers to shake google down for more money into the PRO pot so more performance royalties can be paid from YOUTUBE streams. A lot more!

ASCAP hitting record revenue of 1.1 Billion is a positive development

https://www.ascap.com/press/2018/04/04-19-financials-2017

More money for PROS, should mean more money for writers.

We have had some wins with the music modernization act passing, people ARE buying music again. I pay $10 a month for tunes on Spotify. I used to buy 1 CD a month as a kid. So the business is getting my money again.

#29992 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

More money for PROS, should mean more money for writers.

More money for PRO’s means more money for their pet projects and fave hipster writers – not for the places where the money should be flowing. but that’s a different topic,,,,,

#30011 Reply
    FranklinV
    Participant

Why was I the first one to give this video a thumbs down? I know it is not a monumental statement, but it is something!! Come on guys their should be 1000 thumbs down and a 1000 negative comments. It is the very least we can do.

#30013 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Why was I the first one to give this video a thumbs down?

What video?

#30015 Reply
    FranklinV
    Participant

I replied to the Soundstripe video link and conversation. I am not sure how it ended up here.
    Sorry Art I mean no disrespect but I am a bit frustrated. I hear a lot of talk about these terrible new models. But no real action.I just think their are so many options rather than sit by and watch.For starters, in my mind, every one of these sites that post a video on Youtube should be met with a comment from every person on this site. That shifts the power from them to us immediately. They will have no option but to remove them if they have a couple hundred negative comments.Their is only one of them but so many of us. It is perfectly legal, Takes almost no effort by any one person. And discourages others from following in their footsteps.

#30016 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

That is a GREAT idea @FranklinV !!!!!!!

Art, how could we facilitate this in an organized manor???

#30017 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Start a thread and post the video links. No comments, just the links. If you post comments then the thread gets polluted quickly.

#30018 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

I just want to say that several composers did question the facebook advertising campaign of Artlist IO. They were aggressively advertising their subscription service on facebook and simultaneously trying to recruit contributors a few months back. The owner of the company immediately deleted any negative comments or challenging questions and has since blocked all comments. The only comments allowed are the very fake positive endorsements like “AWESOME!” “Great music” “Amazing idea” “This is Great”.

Soundstripe is doing the same phony YT campaign so yes its a fantastic idea for every composer to shame them on youtube and facebook . See here:

Great idea Franklin.

#30019 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

The comments on that yt video are so insipid and stupid that it’s almost comical. Almost.

#30020 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I left a comment and thumbs down. Come on Music1234 and LAWriter step it up!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
Reply To: Reply #30015 in Subscription Survival…..
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us