Supervisor Email Lists

Home Forums General Questions Supervisor Email Lists

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    reallife4
    Participant

Hello all!

I was curious about what email lists you are on and the general success you’ve had with each. Below is a copy of a brief I was forwarded but have no idea where it is from. Thank you all!

Brief 1

Need within 48 hours.

Synopsis: A married college psychology professor becomes a suspect in the disappearance of a young woman. Please send metadata with your pitches. I’ve included an example of how I need it laid out.

1. Replacing: “Teen Idle” – Marina and The Diamonds

Link: https://youtu.be/wE-FNDxoqFE
    Teen Idle
    youtu.be
    Provided to YouTube by Warner Music Group Teen Idle · Marina And The Diamonds Electra Heart ? 2012 679 Recordings Ltd. Additional Drums: The Elite Mixer, Pro…

Uses: Background Vocal

Duration: Up to full use

Fee: $1k all-in

#27998 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Hello to all. I gave up years ago the “Ambiguous lead from a agent/super; looking on the behalf of a major company/TV Show/Artist looking for XYZ material”. Then you pay a submission fee per each consideration..

#28006 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Don’t know where that brief is from but it is also listed on Songtradr.

#28007 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

The “Briefs” and “Deal Boards” and “Music Wanted” scene is definitely spinning out of control. The way this process should work is by having 1 music supervisor using first his brain to think of a company or even a few individual composers who can service the need. We’re now in a time of public cattle calls where everyone and their mother is getting the information.

This is not healthy and is a waste of resources. I suppose Songtradr may be Ok for listings when songs with specific lyrics and genre are required, but a listing like “80’s synth pop music ” is kind of absurd. They will receive 1000 submissions probably! Just pick a reputable supplier or catalog and send them your brief. That would be my advice to music supervisors.

What advantage does a MS gain by having a big cattle call (You inform 5 or 10 deal board type sites) and hundreds of people (if not thousands) get the information about the music listing? Is this approach effective?

#28017 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

What advantage does a MS gain by having a big cattle call (You inform 5 or 10 deal board type sites) and hundreds of people (if not thousands) get the information about the music listing?

Maybe a cut of the submission fees?

#28018 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I suppose Songtradr may be Ok for listings when songs with specific lyrics and genre are required, but a listing like “80’s synth pop music ” is kind of absurd.

Speaking of Songtradr. This is a good read about Songtradr and the business in general.

#28020 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Thanks Michael. Timely and informative.

#28021 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

It is a nice article and I clearly wish them success for us and themselves. I still have yet to meet anyone I know that has landed a decent sync fee on that site. By that I mean 2K to 5K for a movie or show or spot, etc. I do know some very talented composers and songwriters dealing their music on that site and still, no one has landed even a $500 fee. It kind of feels like the old music dealers model, but with slicker uploading technology and metadata entry. I hope it evolves differently, but what actually scares me is this:

“Songtradr has raised over $5 million from international investors and is making significant investments in its technology and infrastructure, he said.”

This usually is a prelude to a total melt down and bankruptcy and another event where artists will not be made whole on their sync fees, and lawyers handling the bankruptcy will sweep up hundreds of thousands of dollars. When Wall Street type “investor” folks enter the music licensing business, that kind of scares me. I highly doubt that their sync licensing revenue will even hit 5 million over the last 12 months. A Staff of 20 equals a payroll of at least 1 million. Probably more. I am basing the number on 50K per employee. 50K does not go far in LA. Investors are owed 5 Million. Annual salaries are 1 to 2 Million. They better start generating $25 million in sync licensing revenue soon. Cause remember, they claim to pay artists 60 to 70% of every sync license sold.

Regarding the info on artlist.io…I’d steer clear of uploading there too. I sense lots of exaggerated claims by that owner, he also was unable to explain how artists even get paid when I had a few exchanges with him. That’s another “don’t worry about it…we have some formula to pay artists and we can’t really say how it will all happen as it’s based on monthly revenue divided by your percentage of the catalog and then prorated to blah blah blah..and the figures will change every month based on how many songs were downloaded…

BOGUS! (in my opinion)

I encourage all to stick with clear, clean cut compensation models on a license by license, transparent basis. Film makers say…”well it’s too time consuming for us to buy dozens of cheap licenses, we need access to an entire catalog”…well guess what…There are plenty of blanket fee options out there for you.

Anyway, I wish Songtradr a lot of success.

#28013 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

UNFORTUNATELY, this is “One of The Newer Scams that is taking place; to PREY ON, and PIMP the Newbies out of their Bread!!”

Yes, there are some reputable companies out there, but as Music1234 said:

The “Briefs” and “Deal Boards” and “Music Wanted” scene is definitely spinning out of control.

Once again, anyone that is here on this forum has a HUMONGOUS advantage; simply by being able to read the reviews, and study up on the companies best suited for their type of Music/Cues!!

#28031 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

Indeed, every 5 to 10 years brings about a new crop of baby writers who are young and naive, don’t know what PRO’s are, do not know sync licensing fees, basically, they know nothing other than “SIGN UP AND UPLOAD!”.

We have to do everything we can to educate the newcomers, especially the talented one’s. We have to first and foremost eliminate subscription models. Can anyone reading this thread in this forum say they are having a very positive experience contributing to subscription based models?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Supervisor Email Lists
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us