Sync Placements

Home Forums General Questions Sync Placements

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Vasim
    Participant

Hi all

How many sycn placements, do you or most composer get for decent and also music that is really good. I’m with one library, album not created yet, so early days. TV Spots and Trailers were talking per year. Aware it could be none or lots so looking just for a rough guide. eighty tracks.

Thanks

#33242 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Hi there Vasim, I guess you could say I’m an old timer in this business. So, I know how important it is to “Not Concentrate on how many placements, but more on the how quality”.

Every time you sit, fantasize, and “Calculate how much you think You should be getting. You will not only be disappointed. You might very well become discouraged & disillusioned”.

Just write/compose great material, make music that is unique enough to make a Library/Sync say.. “Wow, that’s different, and something we currently can use”. And, forget those Tracks/Songs, and KEEP MOVING!!

#33486 Reply
    David

Hey Beatlonge can you explain “veteran”? What kind of music have you done with how decent an income? I am trying to sus out what a long term career in this portends. Thanks, Dave

#33498 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

There is really no way of knowing what can/will happen.
    I have been in this side of the music biz for almost 20 years, and it has changed drastically from even 2 years ago.

As well, I know people that have just gotten started in the business within the last 2-to-3 years, and have already had some 6 figure years. It has a lot to do with “Your Hustle, Quality Music Output, Business Savvy, and a LOT of Luck!!”

I think though on average. The majority of Composers are not making nearly as much as the average Composer was making even 5 years ago.. I would say the average right now is no more than taking on a “Second Job, for extra income”.

“Depends heavily on The Libraries You are in, and how your deals are structured”.

#33538 Reply
    Vasim
    Participant

Would like to change the subject a bit and find out info on how libraries work.

The questions are.
    1. If a library shows interest does that most of the time mean they will sign the composer.
    2. Simlar to 1. How much time before they get back to the composer, if they are 100% keen on signing him/her but the composer has no idea they are 100% going to give a contract.

Thanks MLR.

#33542 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

I’ve signed probably hundreds of contracts over the years. Never ever, ever has anyone ever signed me as “a composer”. It’s always for the music. It’s not like an artist deal.

How long? Ha! 15 minutes to months. Maybe even a year.

re: $$$. It’s impossible to predict. As Beatslinger suggested, forget the money and concentrate on the music. If you can’t survive on it right out of the gate, you’re going to have to find another job or person to help tide you over until (or if) your licensing income comes up to speed. Of course it depends on where you live, whether or not you have a family, what your financial obligations are, etc., but it can easily take a decade. Or two…. How fast can you write top quality material?

#33543 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

PS – for me – in Los Angeles, having a mortgage and a family and writing my BUTT off – back in the golden years – after concentrating on writing for libraries 100% of my work schedule, it took about 7 years. A LOT of tunes in 7 years though. Over 1000, and I had a really great publisher that was getting my stuff placed weekly if not daily. (Mostly underscore not trailers or commercials)

#33546 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

out of all the challenges for this field…it seems like a great publisher is the most crucial and the toughest hurdle to overcome…so many duds, the only publishers most composers that i know talk about that gets them weekly/daily placements are A-list PMA libs with upfronts and excl perp terms. atm im fairly dissapointed on my outcome with mid tier, exclusive, no upfront, reversion clause libs per backend $$$…may take more than 7yrs (if ever) for me to make full time if I stick with this strat..thankfully my gigging and recording income has covered my losses….

#33547 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

the only publishers most composers that i know talk about that gets them weekly/daily placements are A-list PMA libs

Not for me. I’m in plenty of the AAA top tier libraries. They have not done that well for me. They have good international sub pubs, but honestly, I kinda regret signing a lot of my stuff with them.

It’s critical that your personal style, your production esthetic, your musical output, your type of music – underscore, trailer, commercial, etc, and your timing match up with the publisher you are considering.

It seems like young guys are SO excited that a library will take them on, but I say, that it’s more important that the composer JUDGE the library for worthiness. Not all are created equal, and blindly shooting for the “big guns” might be the worst strategy out there.

Quite possible.

#33548 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

It’s critical that your personal style, your production esthetic, your musical output, your type of music – underscore, trailer, commercial, etc, and your timing match up with the publisher you are considering.

BIG Truth!!
    I literally “Plan” My Composing and Writing Schedule according to time of year, and “Hopefully” Release date/time in the year.

Like, Right now, I am working on my Uptempo, and “Energy Tracks” for next years Sports Broadcasts.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Sync Placements
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us