Systems for recording new materials……

Home Forums Newbie Questions Systems for recording new materials……

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ChuckMott
    Participant

In general, have some experienced composers here come up with systems when writing new tracks? For people who are experimenting and putting tracks into libraries or just as a general practice, for example, considering, besides creating my edits, bouncing stems of each, creating AIFF’s, Wavs, 320k MP. DO people find this saves time in the long run? Or do you do, as I am doing now, and wait until they are requested and go through the process of creating them then. Trying to create a system of what other professions might refer to as “best practices”….Thoughts?

#18673 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I create all my mixes and edits then my 44.1 files (I use Voxengo r8Brain). Everything else as needed. I don’t get asked for stems that often so I create them when requested.

I do set up my project files in such a way that it’s easy to create alt mixes or stems. Drums in one folder, percussion in another, basses in another, keyboards, pads, melody, etc in others, depending on the cue. I can then create sub-busses depending on how I want to group the instruments for stems. I can roll those all off at once including the master buss. If I need to go back for alts or stems it’s pretty easy to grab what I need. I’m using Sonar X3.

#18676 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Thanks Art for responding.

#18678 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

If I know which library I am sending a certain cue to, I will create stems or mixes that I know they will want at mixdown. Lately, if I don’t know exactly where they will be sent, I’ll just do a stereo mix, that I can convert to mp3 if needed. No sense in doing a bunch mixes, they might not need or want. Different libraries want different file formats, and in the past I’ve done work ahead of time, that wasn’t needed, and therefore a waste of my time. Just my thoughts.

#18679 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

No sense in doing a bunch mixes, they might not need or want.

I was thinking in terms of RF, non-exclusive and exclusives that might get returned to me. For those instances where an exclusive library wants specific mixes of cues that will not get returned, I give them what they want.

#18680 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

In my case, I got into a library that wanted stems, which I am now creating for several of the tracks. They and another want stems, so for me , I should probably do those as I go. On the other hand if I would have had them done already……however, since I am planning on uploading to both regularly to both,well… actually I think a best practice in this case is when a library has accepted you in, ask them what they want and don’t want. This particular one thanked me for it. Anyway the bright side here is I will have .wavs , aiffs, and 320k mp3s and stems for most of my tracks, as well as edits . But now this is because I know who wants what, just seems like a lot of work making those after the fact.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Systems for recording new materials……
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us