Telemundo Royalties?

Home Forums PROs Telemundo Royalties?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    JoshM
    Participant

I have the opportunity to place a lot of music in a new show for Telemundo. But I don’t have any experience with this network. Do they pay royalties and are the rates pretty good? As far as rates, is it in line with a cable channel like Oxygen? Any help from composers with experience placing music on this channel would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Josh

#41074 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Had a number placements over the years on Telemundo. Last qtr only had two placements $0.30 for 1:30 minutes.

#41076 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

It will probably fall under ‘Local Tv – Blanket’ which as you know has typically low rates.
    one of my recent statements includes:
    – one line of 24 plays adding up to about $14 a minute for an afternoon airing
    – one line of 25 plays adding up to about $17 a minute for primetime
    – one line of 11 plays adding up to $0.26 a minute for an afternoon airing
    – one line of 1 play – a segment theme used in an awards ceremony (yay!), 4 seconds for $227.

So it’s all over the place, but really depends on how much the show re-airs.

#41094 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

I’ve had some payouts similar to Mark’s from Telemundo. Some $15 to $20 line items and good international royalty payouts.

I had one track used in 42 episodes of “Un Nuevo Dia” (I think it’s a soap opera?). They ranged from 20 seconds to as long as 7+ minutes. The total back end for those placements was $828

I’m with ASCAP

#41095 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

Telemundo was absolutely nuts on my statement this qtr.I couldn’t believe it. Almost 3k from a series called La Casa De Los Famosos Sin Censura. Best qtr I ever had since doing this.I knew something was up when I checked BMI last week and saw about 30 cue sheets from that but I didn’t expect it to translate into that much money.

#41096 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

You guys are killin’ it. Congrats!

#41097 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

Thanks Art!

#41104 Reply
    JoshM
    Participant

Thanks for all the help! One other quick question, without derailing this thread too much. Would you also sign up to Identifyy in case these shows are put on YouTube and stuff?

#41105 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Please don’t hijack the thread. Post your question here: https://musiclibraryreport.com/forums/topic/identifyy-haawk-has-anybody-any-experience/

#41106 Reply
    JoshM
    Participant

Cool thanks! I asked a question in the general forum but no replys.

#41210 Reply
    jdstamper
    Participant

How long did it take from the original airing until you saw the royalties?

I had a placement on the Telecinco network in Spain on a 2021 Christmas Eve live special, detected by Tunesat. I haven’t seen a payment yet in BMI. Being international, I didn’t really expect payment this “soon” … but I just learned about someone else with a similar placement in Spain and he saw the royalty on his last BMI statement (November 2022), so then I start to worry ?

#41212 Reply
    White_Stripes
    Participant

International payouts usually take longer than a year, sometimes it can be even two or three years.

and as a general rule, better change your mindset and dont follow single placements / waiting for their pay-out. more often that not youre getting disappointed, maybe its just pennies, or it can even be nothing at all if in that country that channel doesnt pay any performance royalties, or maybe they did some form of direct licensing. or sometimes they forget to file a cuesheet, you just never know.
    Id only keep track of big placements, like long-running ads or network promos etc and check if they got paid out properly because those ones should generate bigger amounts.

#41216 Reply
    jdstamper
    Participant

White_Stripes … Very true. I’ve had international royalties take up to 3 years … and then its pennies.

Just this year I was denied some royalties because of late reporting somewhere in the food chain. That was a DOMESTIC placement and while I’m being paid for re-runs now, I didn’t get paid for the original prime time debut airing over 2 years ago, because BMI won’t make retro adjustments back that far.

Yep, the system is far from perfect and disappointment is part of the game. For me at least, it’s a challenge to anticipate which placements are likely to be bigger ones that you might want to ‘monitor’. The Telecinco placement is an unusual one for me so it made me more curious than hopeful.

#41217 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

I’ve saw a long string of cue sheets from one show going down half the page in my BMI account. Couldn’t wait to get my statement.I ended up with about a buck fiddy.

#41218 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

“ I’ve saw a long string of cue sheets from one show going down half the page in my BMI account. Couldn’t wait to get my statement.I ended up with about a buck fiddy.”

I was neck deep in a frustrating mix when this popped up. Thanks for the much needed laugh ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Reply #41105 in Telemundo Royalties?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us