The 3rd fastest growing job in the USA is…

Home Forums Share It! The 3rd fastest growing job in the USA is…

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

As the saying goes, “different strokes for different folks”. For any one person to say there is only one way to achieve a goal is just crazy talk.

#13871 Reply
    Kenny
    Participant

Might be so, but remember with the internet you’ve got nothing to lose sending your material to the ‘big’ libraries. You might be surprised, or perhaps it’s as simple as you fill a certain niche they’re desperate for at that time.

Thanks for the tip T-bone. I will remember and I’ll give it a try. But luckilly I don’t need 100k a year. Healthcare are provided for and my kids go to school for free. Any income between 40k and 140k would be just fine, so I’ll jump on board and be a part of the 3rd fastest growing industry 😉

#13873 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

As the saying goes, “different strokes for different folks”. For any one person to say there is only one way to achieve a goal is just crazy talk.

Art is absolutely correct.

@More Advice, It’s really great that you’ve succeeded at what you do. But, I think that you incorrectly assume the everyone wants to be in your shoes.

I singled out the “jingle” sentence, because it speaks to your “music house” perspective. It’s great that you’ve succeeded in that world. Kudos. It’s not something that I ever aspired to. I had a very close friend, band mate, who had a long career in NYC at Y&R. He’d send me demo reels from the NYC music houses (most of which are gone). That kind of work, and business model,just didn’t interest me.

As Art said, “different strokes.” I’ve had my own project studio for 30 years, which was a goal that I had from around age 12. I love what Denis Woods called the “quiet life” of composing. I love the solitary pursuit of composing and sound design, as much as you obviously love running a music house.

My advice for young / new writers would be to know yourself, what you value, and how you want to live. Clearly there are many options, which is very cool.

_Michael

#13874 Reply
    More Advice

Agreed Art, I just don’t think that writing and up-loading and writing and up-loading is the quickest way to achieve your goals (for the majority) and I never said there is only one way to get there. At some point there has to be more effort, and some nice luck. Whether it’s a fortunate big license into a trailer, big film, or big spot..or landing a TV theme that runs forever and ever, or being awarded a nice work for hire contract, there usually has to be more than up-loading library cues for use on TV shows as background drops.

I’d love to hear that million dollar track if anyone has a link to it?

Lots of tracks have achieved $1 million in license fees….I’d bet the track “Free Ride” has printed $3 to $5 million in license fees on car spots over it’s life time.

#13875 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I just don’t think that writing and up-loading and writing and up-loading is the quickest way to achieve your goals (for the majority) and I never said there is only one way to get there.

The two variables here are time and money. It’s been said many times here that writing library music is a long-term process…5 or more years AND 1,000 cues (in the upload model). If you have time and your financial goals are modest, it’s achievable. If you need money quickly, and a lot of it, this probably isn’t the best choice. But I can’t think of any well paying job that is an overnight prospect.

there usually has to be more than up-loading library cues for use on TV shows as background drops.

For many writers that “something more” is a day job, or an employed spouse/partner.

I’d love to hear that million dollar track if anyone has a link to it?

I’m sure that you’ve heard it many times, starting as a trailer cue, and then licensed for many other commercials.

I’d bet the track “Free Ride” has printed $3 to $5 million in license fees

Ditto for “Takin’ Care of Business.”

#13879 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

I just don’t think that writing and up-loading and writing and up-loading is the quickest way to achieve your goals (for the majority) and I never said there is only one way to get there

New to the biz, and reading a lot (including forums like this one on MLR) I am realizing there are other models. I acknowledge that putting all eggs in the same basket is probably not the best or fastest way, however, when starting (= the first couple of years), wouldn’t working to be successful in libraries, and reaching that goal, allow new doors to open?

Example: a Music Sup purchases a licence from a new composer for a low budget spot via a library, finds the track super and investigates about this new composer. One day lands on his desk a high budget project that could fit the composer’s style. So he thinks about him and contacts him directly. Is this fantasy ?

#13880 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

and I never said there is only one way to get there.

@More Advice. Actually you kind of did. Your overall approach, while not wrong, is not for everyone. Each person has their own comfort zone and I believe if they follow their passion they will achieve their goals, regardless of the path they take.

#13884 Reply
    More Advice

I don’t get it Art, I believe I indicated that you, ideally, need “multiple” revenue streams to accomplish your financial goals as a composer. I never indicated “one way”.
    Here are the many ways to achieve your goals, and a combination of all them is a good thing!
    -licensing fees (into trailers, spots, movies)
    -PRO royalties (from background TV cues, TV themes, radio play, etc.)
    -work for hires (private contracts to produce music for a company for a fee)
    -Royalty free sales of tracks on royalty free sites

It is amazing that some are doing very well just from RF!
    Eduardo, your theory is possible…especially for a guy with a killer portfolio.
    Good luck with your goals everyone!

#13957 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant
    #17092 Reply
    ro5er
    Participant

I’m sure that you’ve heard it many times, starting as a trailer cue, and then licensed for many other commercials.

Is it Two Steps from Hell – “Heart of Courage”?

#17095 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Is it Two Steps from Hell – “Heart of Courage”?

No.

#17105 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I see the thread is still cruising along here….If any of you really want to make 6 figures as a composer…do not get caught up in the “How many tracks do I need to write”…philosophy.

Tell me about it!

#17106 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@DI I will quote what I said earlier in this thread.

#17107 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Tell me about it!

Art and I know someone with 30,000 TV style cues, who probably makes 6 figures.

I know someone with hundreds, not thousands, of cues a brilliant orchestral composer, who probably makes 6 figures.

Quantity is one way of making a lot of money, and quality is another.
    Unfortunately that invites a discussion of what defines quality, which can go on forever, and never really get anywhere.

#17108 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Art and I know someone with 30,000 TV style cues, who probably makes 6 figures.

I know someone with hundreds, not thousands, of cues a brilliant orchestral composer, who probably makes 6 figures.

I wouldn’t mind being either one of those composers. 🙂

How to get there is the real issue for me. I know that I have made some of the right moves, but not enough to elevate me to that level of success.

Will it take more skill? More time? More luck? I will never know until I make it happen I suppose.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
Reply To: The 3rd fastest growing job in the USA is…
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us