The Music Licensing Directory

Home Forums General Questions The Music Licensing Directory

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MaxPower
    Participant

I was directed to this site by a library I contacted a couple of days ago. It’s $199 to subscribe annually. Anyone had any experience with it? Any successes?

http://www.musiclicensingdirectory.com

#9831 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Sounds like it might be useful, especially if they’re keeping the info current. There are plenty of other places to get that, but it’d save you a lot of time to have it all in one place.

I saw this graphic a few months ago that they made:

http://www.musiclicensingdirectory.com/state-of-the-music-licensing-industry-2013

It looks really nice but I have no idea where they got their stats from, including this:

‘Getty Images owned “Pump Audio” platform take the highest commission from fees at 65% and are the only company that take more than the artist’s share’

…. yeah right! Maybe they should spend some time on the MLR.   : )

And how could they know that ‘40%’ of music licensing companies retitle tracks?

#9832 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

But wait…they do say the licensing is the “fast and easy way to make money with your music.”  So, they must know what they’re talking about. 😆

#9833 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

And how could they know that ‘40%’ of music licensing companies retitle tracks?

That actually could be the case, it doesn’t mean that 40% of licensed tracks are retitled.

There are loads of retitling libraries out there who do little or no business with a smaller amount of exclusives doing a lot. We will never now the split in revenue between exclusive/non etc either I dont think.

#9834 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

They want $199 (the 50% 0ff sale price!) for their directory. I can’t imagine this information is worth anywhere near that much. There are directories out there MUCH cheaper such as one you can buy off filmmusic.net.

And many people think just having contact info for music sups will make them successful. It takes a lot of business savvy, time, patience, and the right goods. These sups get bombarded by composers contacting them every day. You have to really stand out from the crowd to get noticed. Doable, yes… But FAR from easy.

This is one reason many successful composers work through libraries. It allows them to focus on what they do best, making great music, while letting others do the schmoozing with the sups.

😀

#9845 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I really do not see the value in this service.

#16046 Reply
    Justin Ratowsky

Im a NOOB to licensing my music. I have two catalogs. An e.p. http://www.listentojustin.com and a full length album http://www.caliconscious.com/music

Where is the best place to start with licensing? I have an ASCAP writer and publishing account, but I’m talking about getting the contacts to start pushing my music for film, tv, and media? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

ONELOVE – JUSTIN RATOWSKY – CALI CONSCIOUS

#16252 Reply
    markbodino
    Participant

Any feedback information REGARDING EXCLUSIVE vs. NON-EXCLUSIVE
    agreements?

I’ve recorded a lot of classical guitar pieces along with original music. I’ve been at an impasse….. Do I upload to multiple sites or try secure an exclusive deal? Also, if I upload to other sites, have I eliminated opportunities for an exclusive deal? I’ve been corresponding with [Removed] regarding an exclusive deal. I inquired regarding the ability to break with them and consult other options at some point if there was nominal or no success. I didn’t hear back. I felt this was a legitimate question. I didn’t want to have songs sitting in virtual space “collecting dust” while having no autonomy. I’ve also been seeking starting my own publishing Co. Looks very complex, although I have the focus and initiative. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Reply #9845 in The Music Licensing Directory
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us