Thinking out loud….?

Home Forums General Questions Thinking out loud….?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JD

Let me start by saying, this is “thinking out loud” and I am in no way thinking this all the way through…

Would it be a good idea, (not me, too busy) and marketable, to open a website that offers exclusive (buy out/work for hire) tracks for sale? I know I would be interested in a site, as a composer, to offer my new tracks as a “buy out” for a certain price, but with the ability to set the price, as well as remove said track after a short period of time, and then make it available to other publishers/libraries. Maybe after the submission they would be available for 4 months only? If the site would take say, a 10% commission, we all are happy, happy, happy.

For example, I post a track and list it for $1500 under a “work for hire” contract?

This is a random figure, of course, but would be interested in everyone’s thoughts.

#11826 Reply
    JD

BTW Art, a “spinoff” site come to mind…. 🙂

#11827 Reply
    JD

Again, thinking out loud, a site that gives us, the composers, the control of what we think our music is worth. What would you charge for the music you just wrote? And too give away the rights to future earnings! That’s the big question! But, instead of an exclusive publishing contract that ties you up for years, it’s a short term gamble for say 3-4 months.???? Me personally, I like the control in my hands.

#11828 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I see little value to a site such as this.

I would rather work and sell my music to an exclusive library that pays money to acquire the track. This way, I would get upfront money and still be able to collect the writer’s share of royalties. That is the ideal business model to me.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get into the high end exclusive music libraries that offer such deals. I always strive to get into these companies, but I have to be realistic: most of my music is not good enough!

I don’t make bad music, but most of my stuff is not unique enough to compete at that level. This is why my music goes into the libraries that offer me the best chances to get placed. Backend royalties account for 99% of all of the money I have made from music licensing.

#11829 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I think doing “custom” music for a discounted fee, and retaining the rights in exchange is preferable. That way, you essentially get paid to build your own catalog. And…you know that what your writing is functional.

_Michael

#11835 Reply
    music_pro
    Participant

What if i will build this kind of site but also market it to very high end libraries and some mid and low end ones? Kind of publisher for tracks to sale.

Tell me who is for it and who will like to post tracks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Thinking out loud….?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us