Time management

Home Forums General Questions Time management

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    b1nrybl0ke
    Participant

Hi folks, after 10+ years writing primarily for exclusive libraries I’m finally getting around to taking more control over my work with the non exclusive/self publishing route.

My question is, how do we manage the increasing amount of time spent doing admin, spreadsheets, etc as opposed to actual composing? Do you devote a whole day or evenings or maybe the weekend to the business side?

Personally, I find Monday mornings good for business tasks and planning out my week, before really focusing on the music. Other than that, I try to keep things pretty fluid

#31058 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Personally, I find Monday mornings good for business tasks and planning out my week, before really focusing on the music.

I don’t find one day a week enough! I try to split everyday between business and music. Mornings for shopping music, tagging, research, spreadsheets and all. Afternoons for writing.

#31063 Reply
    cyberk91
    Participant

Still working on my process …lately I’ve been uploading a song and edits as soon as I’m happy with the mix..then do the spreadsheet soon as Pond5 lets it in which actually is getting alot quicker for me (not sure what is going on there yet)..maybe they like me..lol…then I register them with my PRO….it becomes a real chore if I let tracks pile up…before doing the admin…but this is my process thus far..so it may not be everyone’s cup of tea…

#31070 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

lately I’ve been uploading a song and edits as soon as I’m happy with the mix..

I’ve been letting my new tracks build up. I feel this gives me a better perspective on what to do with them. I can listen to the group as a whole, then make individual decisions as to what is best for each and for business overall.

#31080 Reply
    b1nrybl0ke
    Participant

I don’t find one day a week enough! I try to split everyday between business and music.

I know what you’re saying and I anticipate the balance shifting as my NE work expands. At the moment my focus is on 3-4 days solid writing/programming/mixing. I’m also experimenting with breaking my year up into 90 day periods to keep me on task without being overwhelmed by the road ahead.

#31091 Reply
    CROW

I’m surprised that there’s not a service that could handle the spreadsheet/tagging/administration chores for a fee or percentage of income. Sort of like a publishing administration deal without giving up control of the copyright.

#31092 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’m surprised that there’s not a service that could handle the spreadsheet/tagging/administration chores for a fee or percentage of income.

A lot of work with what percentage of success?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Time management
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us