To Website or not to Website….that is the question.

Home Forums Online Promoting To Website or not to Website….that is the question.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    GaryW
    Participant

So I wanted to throw this out to all of you. I’ve been at this for 5 years, and have always had a simple website with bio info. links to libraries, what I do etc. I do not sell tracks through my site. It’s more information than anything else.
    So I am trying to figure out if it is worth the expense to keep it up. My traffic has been minimal, and it is hard to say if has generated any sales on the libraries as a result. I tried Google AdWords etc., and did not seem to make any difference.
    So I would like to hear thoughts on some of your results with websites pro and con
    Thanks
    Gary

#20156 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Nope. Just get a Soundcloud account.

I put up songs there to provide links for music libraries. All of that bio info and other stuff doesn’t matter to them, at least initially. They want to hear the music first. Soundcloud is a simple solution for hosting a few songs for audition..

#20157 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

I do have a Soundcloud account and have from the beginning. Definitely had more hits on there than the website. Thanks. And it’s much cheaper….
    Thanks

#20158 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Hi Gary,

I’m not sure that it’s of any real value except as an on-line resume, of sorts.

I set up a website mainly because I thought that I would go back into seeking film-scoring clients, but that end of the business has taken an even harder hit than the library end.

On the odd chance that someone likes your library music, and would want you to do some custom scoring, to write a theme song, you might want it as a way for them to find you.

A lot of library writers put up art work from shows on which they’ve had placements (as if they actually had something to do with the show). I’m not sure anybody really believes that, or cares, but it looks nice.

_Michael

#20159 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I like Soundcloud because it is pretty mainstream and is free.

Most music libraries know about Soundcloud. Even if I were to create a new custom piece, I would just submit it directly to the client. My own website would not really help.

I look at it on the amount of traffic. Soundcloud will probably get more traffic than I can with my own site. So I go to where I can get the most traffic. That is the same reason why I put my music in libraries instead of selling it myself.

I work at making music. Libraries work at promoting and selling music. I want to work with people that can help me instead of trying to do it all myself.

That is what smart business people do. They outsource what they can unless they feel that they can perform a function better than other people and make more money at it.

#20161 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

Good point again. I’ve been with Soundcloud from the beginning since 2010. I have had 36,170 plays to date.

#20163 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

Nope. Just get a Soundcloud account.

I put up songs there to provide links for music libraries. All of that bio info and other stuff doesn’t matter to them, at least initially. They want to hear the music first. Soundcloud is a simple solution for hosting a few songs for audition..

I still use soundloud, but my music, as well as everyone else’s has been stolen from Soundcloud, so I’m trying not to add any new stuff on there. As far as the “bio stuff”, if you don’t have any creds, then yes it doesn’t matter, but if you do, then I think it really helps. I did my own simple website with iweb, that looks nice, works well, and you can send libraries a link to it, to show that you are professional. To me it’s good to have a webpage to tell libs what YOU want them to know about you. Just my thoughts!

#20164 Reply
    Kiwi

My website is just another part of presentation. On it’s own I imagine it does little or nothing for me but in my email signature it shows that I’m professional and invested in what I do. Of course I’ve put some thought and effort into it. I would rather have no website than something embarrassing.

As far as “bio stuff” I agree with OverDub. Maybe some people don’t care but I can’t see how it could ever hurt to present evidence of experience and professional credibility.

#20165 Reply
    Sean

I have a simple free website with Wix.com. Very easy to make a decent looking site there. Probably makes more sense to have the paid version with my own domain, but it’s not in the budget right now.

I’ve just been sending a link to the audio page instead of using SoundCloud, since I removed everything from there last year.

I’m not trying to drive traffic there or license anything direct.

#20166 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

As far as the “bio stuff”, if you don’t have any creds, then yes it doesn’t matter, but if you do, then I think it really helps.

+1

By “creds,” I assume you mean things that you’ve actually done, not just placements.

To me it’s good to have a webpage to tell libs what YOU want them to know about you. Just my thoughts!

+1

I still use soundloud, but my music, as well as everyone else’s has been stolen from Soundcloud, so I’m trying not to add any new stuff on there.

Have you looked into a dedicated player for your website, like a wimpy player? Are they more secure than sound cloud?

#20168 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I’ve just been sending a link to the audio page instead of using SoundCloud, since I removed everything from there last year.

Hey Sean,

I don’t do SC either. What are you using for audio?

#20169 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

Have you looked into a dedicated player for your website, like a wimpy player? Are they more secure than sound cloud?

I haven’t, but I probably should. I’ve heard it said that, anything that can be played online is more than likely vulnerable. The downside of having stuff on the web I guess!

And yes, by creds, I also mean any professional musical endeavors.

#20174 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

So much for block quotes! Sorry!

#20176 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Great discussion. I think a website can be useful if done properly. I think it all depends what your end game really is. I don’t think you get away with not having a website if you’re aiming for film or games, or if you’re selling your music and/or services online. If that’s not you, then maybe you could go without a website…or do a simple (and free) “splash” page from Wix (like Sean mentioned above). You could just use a Soundcloud account or Reverbnation or iCompositions, etc too…but then, you’re at the mercy of those media sites (for better or worse).

The big questions to ask yourself would be:

* Why are they coming to my website?

* What are they looking for when they arrive at my website?

* What do you want them to do when they arrive at your website?

* How do they know? (which ties into the previous question).

#20177 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

I’ve had a couple of websites as an individual composer but apart from a few enquiries nothing ever came out of them that I know of. As a library writer, I think it was more about the fun of making them than being of any tangible value. I think a website would be useful if you are aiming at doing scoring of films, games, tv, etc,

However, with my new business venture, I am spending a lot of time on its website because I think it will be important in terms of being perceived as professional. Will it have tangible economic value? Dunno. But again, it’s creatively fulfilling to design a site 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
Reply To: Reply #20156 in To Website or not to Website….that is the question.
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us