Too much lows on this?

Home Forums General Questions Too much lows on this?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gdomeier
    Participant

Looking for feedback on this mix.  Specifically, are the lows and or low/mids too muddy?

https://soundcloud.com/project-dome/quarter-pounder

#9174 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Sounds ok to me, It certainly isn’t bass light mind you sound cloud can do funny things.

If you feel there is a boom, hi pass channels. I actually do this on most channels to take out  sub frequencies that maybe don’t interfere individually, but when there is a lot going on it adds up. I also cut 20-40 hz on the master buss, its inaudible unless your in an IMAX theatre with a THX rig.

#9176 Reply
    56 Strat
    Participant

Actually gdomeier, it’s refreshing to hear something with ” body “. You have a nice full warm sound happening there with good clarity, all of which is missing in too much of today’s music and recording styles. a bit too hot of a level for my personal taste [ but that’s all it is, my personal taste ]. Too much lows ? no, not at all ! it’s a big warm and full sound with actual tone, like days gone by 🙂  Stay the course your on gdomeier , love it, good job …… and a very cool tune !

#9177 Reply
    gdomeier
    Participant

Thank you both for the feedback.  It was helpful.   I generally high pass guitars and bass around either 40 or 30 hz. Same on the master with a high cut too.

I generally track using seinheisser hd280 phones.  The bass is very light on them, so when it sounds thick there, I know it’s waaaay to much.  I generally listen to my track in the phones, then my pc speakers and finally some consumer behind the head sony consumer phones at work.

On a related note, I understand mixing on headphones is generally considered verboten, but other than issues with panning, is there a reason not to do it?

Seems it would be easier to get a flat/reference type of sound via headphones rather than expensive studio monitors and room treatments.

#9178 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

On a related note, I understand mixing on headphones is generally considered verboten, but other than issues with panning, is there a reason not to do it?

No reason not to do it. I couldn’t personally.I know a lot of mix engineers that will reference mixs on headphones but never do a whole mix on them. Whatever works.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Reply #9174 in Too much lows on this?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us