Treating music as exclusive….

Home Forums General Questions Treating music as exclusive….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    ChuckMott
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone has made the leap from, with NE and RF libraries, to just treating these libraries as exclusive when you send music to them. Seems it would certainly be cleaner then sending them off to a few different libraries and hoping for the best. Easier to track where your sales/placements are coming from, forces you to focus and think about what does well where. And to be focused when writing which seems to work better for me anyway. Also, I may have tracks that do well across libraries, it seems in general for me anyway, a track may do really well in a given library not sell at all, or not sell to a where it makes significant amount of difference then if I would have focused on just writing for that library, if that makes sense. So considering just zoning in on writing specific tracks for specific libraries, writing for just that library , and calling it a day for that particular track. Thoughts/ convincing arguments on why this may or may not work?

#25125 Reply
    Jerry

Why not just sign with an exclusive? i would rather have a track with an exclusive library that has all exclusive tracks than treat a track as exclusive in a library filled with mostly mediocre non-exclusive tracks.

#25126 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Also a possibility. Although I do enjoy writing for RF libraries, and too early to tell how NE are going to do in the long haul But I see your point. If I am thinking of just going exclusive why not go just exclusive? That is also something I am thinking of doing. And contributing to some select royalty free libraries, and I think I know who those are already. Again 3 years into contributing independently, RF are still doing at least as well but honestly up until this year I focused more on those. Now I am focusing more on exclusive pitches and doing RF when I am not doing that.S0 far – 3 years in – it looks like most of my placements are coming from exclusives and I am encouraged the steady climb with the RF stuff I’m doing. Also does my heart good to see those occasional placements with the NE libraries though but they pale compared to the other 2. So far anyway.

#25127 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

I recently had 25 tracks released from an exclusive library (actually converted to non-Ex). They earned me less than $200 in back end an no sync fees in five years.
    I put them in a couple of RF libraries a few months ago and they immediately started selling and have already surpassed the exclusive income I made with them.

I still do some exclusive stuff if I get a call for music that is “in my wheelhouse” and I can knock it out quickly. I hope to do a “heavy” time intensive track or 2 this year and submit it exclusively to see how it does.

I still have never gotten a sync fee for an exclusive track, just cable network back end. Most of my placements are still non-ex, but that takes time to see results.

I still make more from RF that back end so non-ex it my preference.

#25128 Reply
    Jerry

@Alan

What you should do is try to aim for the best exclusives, and those should command nice sync fees and placements regularly. That’s what I’m trying to do. Seems like the best move.

#25129 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I recently had 25 tracks released from an exclusive library (actually converted to non-Ex). They earned me less than $200 in back end an no sync fees in five years.

Same experience here. Less than 25 and $0 but at least I feel certain they will earn some RF dollars once I get them up. I do make a lot more on back end than RF though.

I’m a in a bit of a quandary on where to go next. Dipping my toe in the exclusive pond has not been that great of an experience thus far.

#25130 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I was wondering if anyone has made the leap from, with NE and RF libraries, to just treating these libraries as exclusive when you send music to them.

Back to the original question. I’d rather be spreading them all out to the few libraries I work with. You just never know what’s going to sell where. Just had a nice sale on AS where our cut was $200. That was a nice surprise on a very old track. It also was the same $’s as selling 10 or more tracks on most other RF sites.

#25131 Reply
    Jerry

@Art Munson

What exclusives are you with? Looked your name up on a few of the biggest publishers and couldn’t find anything. Maybe you’d have a better experience with the major players?

#25132 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I put them in a couple of RF libraries a few months ago and they immediately started selling and have already surpassed the exclusive income I made with them.

I’ve had music in a number of mid-tier, “money upfront”exclusives. Backend has always been sparse.

I’ve found that with RF libraries I can quicky make what I was receiving in upfront money AND exceed what I was getting in backend money.

#25133 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

@Jerry
    Unfortunately, I’m not good enough to get in to the “major” exclusive libraries … yet. Maybe someday

#25134 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Same experience here. Less than 25 and $0 but at least I feel certain they will earn some RF dollars once I get them up. I do make a lot more on back end than RF though.

Art, you still haven’t posted them on the RF sites? Ha, that’s funny. I dragged my feet too. The tagging, argh. I still haven’t gotten all 25 done. Many need some tweaking now that I have a few more years of experience.

#25135 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

What exclusives are you with? Looked your name up on a few of the biggest publishers and couldn’t find anything.

Never submitted to any but may in the future.

#25136 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Art, you still haven’t posted them on the RF sites? Ha, that’s funny. I dragged my feet too. The tagging, argh. I still haven’t gotten all 25 done. Many need some tweaking now that I have a few more years of experience.

I hear you and that’s what I have been doing. I went through everything we have written over the last 10 years. I re-mixed, re-versioned, added alt mixes and re-did the metadata. A long process that has taken me 1 1/2 years and only 2 left to do. I now feel I can move forward and that re-covered exclusive batch is first on my list.

#25140 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Treating NE songs as Exclusive is dumb IMO. Equally dumb is randomly throwing them at 10-15 different NE libraries. Self defeating. Doing your due diligence is a good thing, and putting them where they will work is what will get you going.

IMO – I’m with some of the biggest Ex libs out there – EX libs are as spotty as NE libs. Some great things have happened and just as often, some losses where I feel I’ve wasted my creative energy.

Research and correct placements are the key. Giving tracks to EX libs without significant up front buyouts is crazy…..

#25144 Reply
    guscave

Giving tracks to EX libs without significant up front buyouts is crazy…..

I don’t totally agree with that. My biggest income generator is an exclusive library which doesn’t pay anything upfront. They do however pay sync fees. This year alone I got over $5500 in sync fees. Not to mention that 75% of my back-end royalties come from this same library.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
Reply To: Treating music as exclusive….
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us