Trying to put my best foot forward

Home Forums Newbie Questions Trying to put my best foot forward

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joshyboy317
    Participant

Hello from Indianapolis, Indiana! I am a licensing newbie and have been really appreciating everything I’ve been learning from this site and the collective wisdom of the seasoned vets in this part of the biz. I have been a performing musician for decades and I am (slowly) trying to pivot my energy and creativity into licensing. This site is an amazing resource.

My first question is what (if any) advice would anyone have about making a good first impression with a library? Is it as simple as just following each libraries protocols about how to submit music – or is it worth any time and effort to attempt to “make contact” first so that when I submit music, it’s not a cold call that’s out of the blue? (Or, is attempting this just creating another potential speed bump and collecting rejections is just the first part of the “long game” of licensing?)

Secondly, I have a decent amount of presentable material but I am still working on and compiling alternate mixes, stingers and stems of my material. Should I have all of these ducks in a row before I contact my first library or is that something that can usually be added (submitted) once I’ve established a working relationship with a library?

Thank you for any wisdom that is shared and I wish I could buy all of the licensing vets a drink as a small token of career appreciation! Cheers.

#35506 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

> Is it as simple as just following each libraries protocols about how to submit music<

I would say yes, follow submission protocols, then forget about the submission and move on. When you hear back with a rejection don’t dwell on it. It’ll be your first of many. Just keep creating and submitting to places until you find what works for you.

I would also say no need to have your ducks in a row. Once accepted you can work on what you need to provide to them.

#35510 Reply
    johnnyboy
    Participant

Good first impression? Submit great music!

Best, John

#35520 Reply
    LionWings
    Participant

Since libraries approach alt versions differently, I would submit the full version of your tracks and then if they are interested they will let you know what kind of alts /Stems they need.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Reply #35520 in Trying to put my best foot forward
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us