Tunecore or CD Baby?

Home Forums General Questions Tunecore or CD Baby?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hello all, first off I apologize if this has already been discussed but I didn’t find anything when I searched for it.

I was just wondering if any of you use either Tunecore or CD Baby and if so, has it been valuable to you?

Tunecore’s Music Publishing Administration seems like it could be helpful but I just don’t know enough about it to pull the trigger.

Thanks!

http://www.tunecore.com/music-publishing-administration

#27507 Reply
    Happy Ears
    Participant

Stay away from Tunecore, that admin deal is exclusive and they basically just collect an admin fee for doing nothing, There have been many comparisons charts out there on companies like that, just google it but I’de go with CD baby over Tunecore but there might be better ones depending on your needs.

#27508 Reply
    Jay

check distrokid..best deal going and quick to add your music everywhere..

#27509 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Overall, I still think CDBaby is the best one:
    – You can actually call CDBaby with any questions.
    – CDBaby sells CDs as well as downloads.
    – you pay CDBaby once and that’s it. DistroKid and Tunecore have an annual fee where if you don’t pay, they’ll take down your music.
    – CDBaby and Tunecore can pay via Direct Deposit. Everyone else is Paypal only, taking a cut out of every payment.

Tunecore is a close second for me, there’s an annual fee but they don’t take a cut of sales. If you’re selling a lot, it might be worth it going with them.

Here’s a good comparison:
    CD BABY VS. TUNECORE VS. REVERBNATION VS. DISTROKID VS. ONERPM: DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION – 2017

#27510 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

hi Mark is this the new strategy for you and other established artist in selling your music? i.e. cut out the middle men spotify/itunes and selling direct to your following?

i think it makes perfect sense, if more and more artist start doing this then the digital stores will have to take note and stop robbing artists of making a living.

the only thing that gives these places value is the music from the composers on their platform. if all artists start selling direct then they will have to start paying out fairly. i guess you have the luxury that you have built up a big enough following over the years to take this approach.

#27511 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Hey Danny!

is this the new strategy for you and other established artist in selling your music? i.e. cut out the middle men spotify/itunes and selling direct to your following?

CDBaby and the other companies still send your tracks to iTunes, Spotify etc.

In fact looking at my sales, CDBaby.com sales are just 4.5% of what I’ve made from public sales – the other 94.5% is iTunes and a little from Spotify and Amazon.

#27512 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

interesting. i don’t know many people who buy from iTunes these days, most people i know have switched to the streaming services such as spotify. surprised to see your revenue from iTunes so high. that’s a good sign at least although i would say the trend in the future maybe that those percentages are reversed between iTunes and spotify.

#27513 Reply

Wow, thanks everyone!

Looks like I have some research to do but I am happy to hear that some of you have found success with these types of companies.

I appreciate your insight as always! This place is the best

#27568 Reply
    Danny Truitt
    Participant

most people i know have switched to the streaming services

In addition to iTunes downloads, both Tunecore and CD Baby can put your music on Apple Music, Apple’s music streaming service. CD Baby has a good brief overview of Apple Music here: https://members.cdbaby.com/apple-music

#27569 Reply
    kandr21400
    Participant

Mark,

Or anybody else who would like to weigh in on answering my question….if you don’t mind, do you have a strategy for promoting your music so you get listeners on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc.? I’m a newbie, and I released 2 singles through CD Baby, AND TuneCore. I’m just going to various sites, subscribing to sites that will play songs through radio (Air Play Direct, Radio Air Play), bought the Indie Bible, signed up with Music Library Report, and anything that will give me knowledge on how to create, and promote. I know it’s a long journey to get noticed, listeners, recognition, etc., so I’m not frustrated and looking for overnight success. I just graduated, in the spring, with my degree in Audio Production, and I start my bachelors in Music Production tomorrow. So while I’m creating, and promoting, I’m learning. Any advice?

#27591 Reply
    Chuck Hughes

I have been a member of all 3, and prefer Distrokid. the problem with their publishing admin. services is that they also insist on taking 10 or 15% of your performance royalties, which will offset any money they find for you from intl. download and streaming royalties. I have no financial interest in them, but think Ari Herstand’s new book and Leah McHenry’s Savvy musician academy are good up-to-date plans for getting your music out there.

#27619 Reply
    TimU
    Participant

One thing I’m unclear on is, when you register your songs with your PRO, do you still register you as the publisher, like you do with the libraries, or is CDBaby, Distrokid Ect… the publisher?

#27660 Reply
    kandr21400
    Participant

Or anybody else who would like to weigh in on answering my question….if you don’t mind, do you have a strategy for promoting your music so you get listeners on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc.? I’m a newbie, and I released 2 singles through CD Baby, AND TuneCore. I’m just going to various sites, subscribing to sites that will play songs through radio (Air Play Direct, Radio Air Play), bought the Indie Bible, signed up with Music Library Report, and anything that will give me knowledge on how to create, and promote. I know it’s a long journey to get noticed, listeners, recognition, etc., so I’m not frustrated and looking for overnight success. So while I’m creating, and promoting, I’m learning. Any advice?…….Hello…..anybody out there?!?!?!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Reply #27511 in Tunecore or CD Baby?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us