TV Program terminology resource

Home Forums General Questions TV Program terminology resource

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Atmos_Analog
    Participant

Hi All,
    I’m trying to expand my knowledge of terminology used in TV programs. I’ve been researching online/Googling but not finding exactly what I want and hoping the group can help.

I’m mostly talking about the terms where music is placed, besides the typical drop in the program. Terms like: bumper, cold open, teaser, promo, montage.

Is there an online resource that includes this kind of info?

(I’ve already been to the ‘glossary of broadcasting terms’ sites and there are some terms there, but not all.)

I’m trying to think more like an editor or show producer, when it comes to placing music.
    Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Atmos

#33201 Reply
    Paul Biondi

Hi Atmos_Analogy

the terms where music is placed …terms like: bumper, cold open, teaser, promo, montage.

Your PRO (i.e. BMI, ASCAP) will have some of those terms on their sites under “how they pay royalties” (i.e. what they’ll pay you for a promo vs a background instrumental).

Other composer / TV music terms you’ll want to know that are related to writing music for TV shows – stingers, cutdowns, etc – can be found easier if you search for Music Production Terminology. A good place to start is here:

Production Music Glossary

#33208 Reply
    Atmos_Analog
    Participant

Paul, thank you for the guidance and the link to the PM Glossary. Very helpful!

Atmos

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Reply #33201 in TV Program terminology resource
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us