Undercutting???

Home Forums General Questions Undercutting???

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    More Advice

I did not see any comment from “Greg” nor is there a link to the track that sold 200 times in 1 month for $17.

#12566 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

That explains a lot.

Greg’s comment is the third one down. Look at the avatar on the left side for his name.

He doesn’t post a link to his AJ page. There’s one to his soundcloud page. As we used to say to young paralegals, be a little resourceful.

#12567 Reply
    More Advice

He states “Starting to see some income from your music can be one of the most inspiring things to keep carrying on! And it isn’t all that difficult to make over $1000.00 a month with stock music.”

This does not state, “I sold 1 cue 200 times for $17.” Michael, we’re running the risk of confusing those trying to get factual information from this discussion. This guy is a very, very talented “drama” composer…agreed….but there is nothing stating 200 sales of 1 track in one month. He very well may have 1000 tracks on the market generating $1000 a month in total sales…but we don’t know so what is your point? And….just imagine what he’d be earning if he was selling these tracks for $100…we don’t know we’re just confusing the discussion by bringing in hypotheticals. Can we stick to facts?

#12568 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I really see the problem here. Basic linguistic interpretation. He is not just “starting to see income.”

He is speaking to a newbie and stating that it is inspiring when one starts seeing income…something he did a long time ago.

Let me make it easy for you.

Greg is #19, with 8,000+ sales.

But, check out #1 with 23,930 sales. His top seller 3,449 sales. And his Coldplay knock-off 2,987 sales. Anyone else do that with a Coldplay knock-off?

http://audiojungle.net/author/top_authors

There are your facts.

#12571 Reply
    More Advice

Again…just imagine what the income would be if they sold at $100 a track and only sold 1/3rd the volume at that price point. I still do not get your argument. And no…Greg did not sell 8000 cuts, he sold just shy of 6000 tracks since 2011…and “Greg” is number 19 not 18.

And… how do we know that these numbers are not exaggerated to serve the interests of AJ?

#12572 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Again…just imagine what the income would be if they sold at $100 a track and only sold 1/3rd the volume at that price point.

I think “imagine” is the key word here.

And… how do we know that these numbers are not exaggerated to serve the interests of AJ?

Now you’ve entered the realm of silliness just for argument sake.
    How do we know that you aren’t encouraging people to raise their prices to $100 so that you can compete against them by selling at $50.
    Do you see how silly that sounds?

This has been fun. But as I said to DI there’s an entire production music universe that exists beyond these debates. And, as a wonderful woman in my little country town used to say, “this ain’t gettin’ the hogs slopped.”

Carry on.

#12574 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Now you’ve entered the realm of silliness just for argument sake.
    How do we know that you aren’t encouraging people to raise their prices to $100 so that you can compete against them by selling at $50.
    Do you see how silly that sounds?

Things like this do happen. Business is a beast!

I wish all of you success on your journeys in RF land.

#12575 Reply
    Blind
    Participant

Be sure to look at the bottom 50% who have sold 20 tracks or fewer. Then realize that only the top 2% have sold 1000+. It kind of mirrors the global economy in a way.

A statistician would need to jump in here to tell you what your chances are there.

For me, I would just refuse a 33% artist cut on principle.

#12576 Reply
    More advice

Ok I agree…it is time to move on and get back to writing tracks. People can judge my character by what I write. Michael L and DI have provided enough distractions to the main point to confuse those listening here. I have nothing to hide and I know that lower prices do not increase revenue, and I have shared that my personal experience has show the exact opposite to be true. Higher prices have lead to higher revenue for me.

So your point of “How do we know that you aren’t encouraging people to raise their prices to $100 so that you can compete against them by selling at $50″… is absurd because my stance is that Price is NOT an issue. Clients will buy a $100 track if they like it better than the $50 track and $50 is not going to put anyone out of business.

I see that the two of you enjoy playing games and taking another side of an argument just to play games and have fun. What good does that do for those in this forum wanting to learn and earn more money from music composition? Really, it appears that you guys write stuff just to screw around and play games…it really does this site and forum a dis-service to write non-facts like “I know a guy who sold 1 track 200 times for $17 in one month….when that was NOT the case!

I am not here to “have fun”…I am here to make progress.

#12579 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Really, it appears that you guys write stuff just to screw around and play games…it really does this site and forum a dis-service to write non-facts like “I know a guy who sold 1 track 200 times for $17 in one month….when that was NOT the case!

That isn’t what I said. I said that he sold 1 cue more than 200 times. I didn’t specify a time frame.

And now that you have goaded me into revealing what you wanted, here’s the cue: http://audiojungle.net/item/dare-to-dream-big/528879

237 sales.

#12580 Reply
    handy pandy

You have to take what The Oracle says with maybe a dash of cynicism. He talks a good game but when it comes to it, we’ve never heard his music. Which is surprising. Well, we heard a bit once on the jukebox but he took it off after about an hour 🙂

Point is, everyone’s an expert aren’t they till it comes to the crunch and then you realise maybe they ain’t! 🙂

Old Chinese proverb say: “when speaking from a great height it is necessary to have climbed the mountain first”.

#12582 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Dear Handy,

I’m not sure what your point is. I didn’t make any claims about what I have or have not done in this thread. In fact, I didn’t even discuss my music at all. I mentioned what other artists were doing on certain sites and showing links to their stats.

So, what does that have to do with whether or not anyone is an expert?
    What does that have to do with my music? Nothing.

However, I started this thread because a certain library P5, has lowered its minimum pricing for SFX, but has not updated that info on it’s website. I was curious about that because I’m planning a new FX catalog.

The thread was then hijacked by someone with an agenda because I didn’t initially make clear that I was not talking about music. Even when I made that clear the argument continued.
    That’s what happens when you’re on a soap box.

So,I ask again, what does that have to do with my music? And what have you contributed of value to the discussion? Nothing.

The saddest part about this whole discussion, is that there is valuable information for anyone who does SFX, buried in-between the BS.

Specifically: P5 lowered its minimum prices for SFX to $2, because of the number of short, approximately 2 second long sounds being uploaded.

#12585 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@More Advice, the airline industry analogy doesn’t work, because it has no competition. You can’t take a train from New York to London, and most people don’t have the time to take a train or bus from NY to LA. So people have no choice, but to pay the price if they want to fly.

A point I tried to make to “More Advice” before but it keeps getting ignored.

BUT….more tracks have not resulted in more sales. Anyone have a theory as to why that is the case? I know Art you mentioned that your were experiencing the same scenario.

Yep same here and frustrating. I think the libraries may skew search results depending on newest music, newest composers or some other algorithm. It always seems that the first uploads, to a new site, return the most income per track and stagnates from there.

BTW P5 is currently the best earning site for me but that could change at anytime! 🙂

#12587 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@More Advice. I think it’s a bit disingenuous to imply someone else might be exaggerating and then take umbrage when someone suggests you might do the same. If you are going to open up that can of worms then you have to expect blowback.

#12588 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

A point I tried to make to “More Advice” before but it keeps getting ignored.

When obvious points get ignored I generally assume that people either lack the capacity to understand the point, or that they chose to ignore it because it is in fact a valid argument against their view.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
Reply To: Undercutting???
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us