Undercutting???

Home Forums General Questions Undercutting???

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

@More Advice. I think it’s a bit disingenuous to imply someone else might be exaggerating and then take umbrage when someone suggests you might do the same. If you are going to open up that can of worms then you have to expect blowback.

I don’t think it was disingenuous. I think he completely missed the irony, which I was trying to point out. I don’t actually question for a moment the he is actually raising his prices.

#12591 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

@ handy pandy . One thing you should learn is that professionals don’t take anonymous personal potshots at other pros or their music. Grow up.

To be blunt, there is no good or bad library music, only library music that sells or doesn’t. Ultimately that is the business we are in, or at least I am. Do I take pride and effort in what I do, of course, but that doesn’t pay my mortgage.

AS is by far my best earner.

#12592 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Again…just imagine what the income would be if they sold at $100 a track and only sold 1/3rd the volume at that price point. I still do not get your argument.

Part of the tone here is my fault. One of the first things lawyers are trained to do is to look for the underlying assumption of the other person’s argument, without which, there is no argument.

In this case the assumption is that a writer would, or could sell, 1,000 cues at $100, vs. 3,000 $17. That is a big assumption. First, from what I’ve heard, a good selling cue, might sell 50 to 100 times. So, the premise that we have to accept is that by raising prices sales will increase 10 or 20 times.

How does that measure against our real world experience? If McDonald’s raised the price of a burger from $4.99 to $10, do you think sales would increase, or would people say “I might as well go to the local pub were they have great burgers for $10.” Or…would they look for another restaurant that still sells burgers for $4.99?

I’m not arguing for one position or the other, but pointing out the logical premise that must occur for the theory to be true. Any one who does any kind of study based on numbers will tell you that until you’ve looked at long term data, all you’ve got is anecdotal evidence.

Enough time spent. P5 answered my original question, and his has been
    a time waster.

#12594 Reply
    More advice

Disingenuous means not being straightforward or candid, being insincere or calculating…

I simply have pointed out that I have raised my prices from $40 to $100 and I am making more money in the RF marketplace because of the price increase. I am encouraging others to consider doing the same for the health of the entire business. How much more candid can I be?

Michael, sorry to hijack the thread about sound effects. You should have indicated “Undercutting sfx prices” as your subject. Plus I thought MLR was a place to talk about music?

Handy Pandy, your comments were rude and unproductive.

#12595 Reply
    Blind
    Participant

Man, I hope this is my last post on this… A lot of this is about math and More Advice might help his case (and mine) by thinking more exactly rather than in ballpark numbers. More Advice says “imagine what the income would be if they sold at $100 a track and only sold 1/3rd the volume at that price point,” but the math works more in his favor than that.

The difference in my mind is:

a) Sell at $100 on a 50/50 split site = $50.00
    b) Sell at $17 on a 33/66 split site = $5.61

You only need to sell 1/10th the number of tracks, not 1/3. That’s a big difference. That’s the difference between selling 1000 for micro money and 100 for reasonable money, plus there is the side benefit of not joining the race to the bottom, and at $5.61 per track, the finish line in that race is not too far away.

#12596 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Disingenuous means not being straightforward

The point I was trying to make (however badly) was that you are asking us to question AJ’s figures but not question yours.

#12598 Reply
    More advice

Art, you are right I have no business questioning the info they publish and I take the comment back….I am sure the stats are legit.

THANK YOU BLIND! for that beautiful chart/ analysis above.

#12599 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Specifically: P5 lowered its minimum prices for SFX to $2, because of the number of short, approximately 2 second long sounds being uploaded.

I see whole songs going for $2 also. The lowest price you can use is $2. Try searching the site by price and you will see for yourself. These low prices apply to all media (music, SFX, video, photos, etc).

#12600 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I am making more money in the RF marketplace because of the price increase.

I really hope that is the case for all of us. But, to illustrate what I mean by an underlying assumption, you are assuming that you are making more because of the price increase. That may well be the case. But, you cannot be certain, unless you have ruled out all other possible reasons. Maybe you have.

@Blind
    , again there is an underlying assumption. We need to know if there’s a general plateau for RF sales at $100, beyond which there are few sales. If so, then the positive aspects of selling at “mass market pricing” kick in at some point. Where’s the break even point?

It’s really hard to say. There are so many variables.

Michael, sorry to hijack the thread about sound effects. You should have indicated “Undercutting sfx prices” as your subject. Plus I thought MLR was a place to talk about music?

Handy Pandy, your comments were rude and unproductive.

No worries. You’re passionate and believe in your cause. I should have been more clear. As far as Handy Pandy and his fortune cookie wisdom goes…bush league. Just ignore it.

#12601 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I see whole songs going for $2 also. The lowest price you can use is $2. Try searching the site by price and you will see for yourself. These low prices apply to all media (music, SFX, video, photos, etc).

That is a whole different kettle of fish.

#12617 Reply
    Rosco
    Participant

I’d like to take a moment to give ‘advice’ to ‘More Advice’ based on his own ‘advice’ when advising others on another post. Haha. I’m with you and agree with some of your points but just remember that regardless if people raise their prices or not, take your own ‘advice’ and possibly a little ‘more’…..”the sun will rise tomorrow”. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
Reply To: Undercutting???
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us