Unique song titles important?

Home Forums Newbie Questions Unique song titles important?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    odie76
    Participant

I’ve noticed tracks on libraries with generic song titles, such as ‘Reflective Piano 1’. Do you think this is fine, or is it better to have unique titles? If I have 10 similar ambient guitar tracks, it’ll make things much easier for me if I could just name them ‘Ambient Guitar 1’, ‘Ambient Guitar 2’ etc., rather than trying to think of titles for all of them, but if I was a client searching for music, I’d probably be more drawn to titles that are a bit more interesting. What are your thoughts on this?

#12057 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

If I have 10 similar ambient guitar tracks, it’ll make things much easier for me if I could just name them ‘Ambient Guitar 1?, ‘Ambient Guitar 2?

I’ve seen some composers do that. I try to make my titles reflect the mood and genre. Can’t always do it but try. I have one track called “Happy Hip Hop” that has an old school hip hop feel and seems happy to me. I’ve sold that track many, many times. I’d like to think the title gets someone interested enough to listen or maybe hits a keyword search.

#12061 Reply
    mikevan
    Participant

I try to find song titles that are ‘interesting’, they may suggest a genre or an atmosphere but I try to be ‘original’ or use a pun or a paraphrase of a famous track title if there some resemblance to it and try to grab the attention of the client; it usually seem to work. The problem with ‘Ambient Guitar’ 1, 2 or 3 is that you may not be the only composer that came up with the same idea in the same library…

#12062 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

I do the same. Something very catchy, or a pun on the genre of the track

#12064 Reply
    MuscoSound
    Participant

I used to just name tracks based on just random things going on, like today’s trash day, or fever’s gone. Basically having very little to do with what the track is about, then I changed to have more specific titles. I saw an increase in licenses and I think it has to do with the way the search engines work with the libraries (I could be totally wrong.) As of now I try to title the music so it has something to do with the feel of the track.

#12133 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

Hi Odie,
    I am a NewBie too. I thought about that before carrying out my first submission. IMHO, the title should :
    Reflect the ambiance of the song (Imagine what it could be used for)
    Be composed of attractive words (So that the potential customer feels compelled to listen)
    Be easily searchable (words should not be too common so you do not end in a massive hit list)

You want your song to be heard by sups, 10 minutes of deep thinking are well worth it when you compare to the hours you spent making the track!

hope this helps

#12134 Reply
    odie76
    Participant

Thanks Edouardo, and thank you everyone else too for your feedback, it has been helpful.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Unique song titles important?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us