Universal Publishing Production Music moves to SESAC

Home Forums Commentary Universal Publishing Production Music moves to SESAC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    dcrhere
    Participant

This is going to have a big impact, folks. Might just be the first.

Universal Publishing Production Music strikes deal with SESAC

Universal Publishing Production Music (UPPM), has inked a new agreement with SESAC to enhance UPPM songwriters’ compensation. The agreement, which is effective from today, covers those production music songs controlled by UPPM that were previously registered with ASCAP for US exploitation. It does not affect royalties collected outside of the US. The agreement removes a specific universe of works from the ASCAP repertory and does not affect a songwriter’s decision to continue overall membership in ASCAP. For the covered production music songs, ASCAP will continue to pay songwriters royalties through March 31, 2016, as well as for “licenses in effect” through the expiration of those licenses.

http://www.musicweek.com/news/read/overnight-news-from-around-the-world-169/064421

#24533 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Very interesting development. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Michael

#24537 Reply
    Dan

So…errr…does this mean we are effectively SESAC and ASCAP members?

#24538 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

The ASCAP statement that came out doesn’t seem to make it any clearer. Maybe we’ll start getting a check from SESAC for just UPPM tracks?

#24541 Reply
    Musicmatters
    Participant

This explains it quite well

http://www.ascap.com/uppm

#24542 Reply
    Jeremy P.

I just learned this had no impact or benefit to writers with songs in UPPM catalog. UPPM is simply switching their publishers share of songs to Sesac.

#24544 Reply
    Sam Carter

What’s news about this isn’t that they’ve affiliated with SESAC, but that they haven’t done it long before now. Here’s why: As far as the PRO’s are concerned, a publisher’s PRO affiliation has to match the songwriter’s affiliation. For example, a writer affiliated with ASCAP must be signed to an ASCAP affiliated company in order to register their songs with ASCAP and to collect royalties from ASCAP. The same follows for BMI and SESAC. What’s probably happened here is that UPPM has signed a SESAC writer and has formed a new entity in order to affiliate with SESAC.

#24545 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

As far as the PRO’s are concerned, a publisher’s PRO affiliation has to match the songwriter’s affiliation. For example, a writer affiliated with ASCAP must be signed to an ASCAP affiliated company in order to register their songs with ASCAP and to collect royalties from ASCAP. The same follows for BMI and SESAC. What’s probably happened here is that UPPM has signed a SESAC writer and has formed a new entity in order to affiliate with SESAC.

Sam, you’re right, that’s the way it USED to be : )
    I’m an ASCAP writer. Yesterday, all my UPPM tracks went from an ASCAP publisher to a SESAC publisher. (I didn’t switch)

My stuff over at Killer Tracks

(click on the versions and edits to see that I’m with ASCAP but the publisher is with SESAC)

So it seems that as SESAC is now collecting the royalties for those tracks, ASCAP writers that have tracks with UPPM might start getting a check from SESAC as well as ASCAP…

#24548 Reply
    Jeremy P.

Not sure if that’s accurate, Mark. If they only switched their publisher affiliation how does that affect us at all?

#24549 Reply
    Jeremy P.

Sorry…I missed Sams post. Interesting. We’ll see how it comes down the pipe.

#24557 Reply
    Andrea Perry

All of my UPPM tracks disappeared overnight from my ASCAP catalog. They were there yesterday, today they are gone. This is unsettling. I’m wondering if I should be resigning from ASCAP and joining SESAC. If anyone has a grip on this and is in a similar boat, please shed light, because I am confused by what is going on and worried about not getting my royalties.

#24562 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

All of my UPPM tracks disappeared overnight from my ASCAP catalog. They were there yesterday, today they are gone.

Same here. At least we’re in good company –

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7318702/umpg-ole-pull-film-production-music-ascap-sesac

#24568 Reply
    Jeremy P.

Anyone else nervous abut this? ASCAP is about 70% of my income. UPPM tracks make up 50% of my ASCAP. UPPM is about profit, which is fine (I am too), but I’m not buying the spin that they’re looking out for their songwriters.

#24569 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7318702/umpg-ole-pull-film-production-music-ascap-sesac

This article says Ole has also moved production music catalogs from ASCAP to SESAC. Ole owns Jingle Punks; has anyone seen this reflected in their JP tracks?

#24571 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

Haven’t seen any of my JP tracks move yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Reply #24548 in Universal Publishing Production Music moves to SESAC
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us