Using loops…..

Home Forums Newbie Questions Using loops…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ChuckMott
    Participant

I know opinions are mixed on the use of loops, especially if music is completely constructed based around loops, but I am considering getting into some other genres – like some dance and synth based stuff – with which I am unfamiliar, but recently bought a loop package and am considering getting into using loops in original compositions. . Not just going to throw the whole thing together and put it out as an original work, but for example using an RMX drum loop and a couple of piano and synth loops (I play a little keys but it’s, to put it lightly, a process) as inspiration to added some other guitar stuff over the top of. I fuss i’m asking , how widespread is the use of loops, especially amongst composers who primarily play an instrument other then the one they are , er, looping? Throw in some simple but catchy sample based stuff maybe as well. More often then not with a heavy dose of real instruments? I’m really starting to see the utility on this, especially in genres where this is high need but in which I’m not completely familiar. Have to say I am a long time musician (guitar player) and have heard the arguments against loop based music and will likely not in the near future compose anything that is entirely made of loops, but as inspiration or developing tracks quickly when used with other samples ar real instruments? No long diatribes about how looped music must die please :). Thanks for the feedback….

#16450 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Use them. It’s your music.

#16451 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I don’t see anything wrong with that and know someone who has made a considerable amount of money doing just that.

#16452 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Nothing wrong with using loops at all, just check the license agreements with them as to the permitted use , usually its ok as long as they are not isolated, I did say usually as there are exceptions !!!! Some like Big Fish don’t allow use with library music at all unless you get a special license.

#16460 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Denis made a great point. Read those license agreements and make sure not to shoot yourself in the foot. Providing stems for tracks with exposed loops can be a violation and that goes for some synths as well.

That said, I always use loops but mutilate them to the point where they sound like something totally different. Makes it a little more creative than just plugging in a bunch of loops and calling that ‘composing’. And this is just me. More power to the guys that do that and crank 3 tracks per day.

#16462 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Providing stems for tracks with exposed loops can be a violation and that goes for some synths as well.

Good point Vlad, Spectrasonics don’t allow this.

#16464 Reply
    Barry

I was recently given an example tracks of one of the most popular prod music composers (pop music) going around and nearly all tracks had loops in them.. Constructions kits even, but the context he gave those loops and the small bits played over the top made his work stand out. Considering he now writes for extreme he is doing something very right..

#16466 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

I create tracks from scratch or mix some loops with original material or create a track only with loops.It really depends on the mood i am.I play bass-guitar and keys and i enjoy creating originals and loop-based tracks the same.I usually chop the loops beyond recognition,i find it quite creative and fun.

Make sure you’re dealing with 100% royalty free loops and,like others said,always read the license agreements.
    In most cases,you can’t use the loops isolated (i haven’t seen a loop library that doesn’t say so),always mix them with at least another
    sound/loop.

It’s perfectly normal to use loops in your music,i don’t see anything wrong in this.

#16468 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Thanks for the feedback. I’m familiar with Producerloops, and Loop Loft. An other suppliers anyone is familiar with (I’m still wishing I would have gone in on the Nine Volt group buy).

#16469 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Most of my loops are for Maschine. http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/maschine/production-systems/maschine/

also

http://www.groovemonkee.com Great midi loops for BFD, Battery, etc.

http://futureloops.com
    I think have have one thing from future loops.

Stylus RMX is good, but a little dated.

#16471 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Thanks all for the feedback. Yes I actually own a bunch of Groove Monkee Midi loops, and use additive drums. I occasionally use RMX for beats but mainly just find some of the loops useful from time to time. I’m a big purchaser of drum loops. On this case, I am thinking more on the melodic end. Future Producer looks interesting. Picked up a Midnight Ambience from producerloops, I like a lot of what I hear on there, seem very professional. Also, just picked up NI Komplete. So now my software consists primarily of all of the Spectrasonics stuff, Addictive Keys and Drums, AMplitube, and Komplete. I’ve liked Battery before going back in to check the new version (the last NI Komplete I bought used was version 3).

#16517 Reply
    Michael Nickolas

Sony loops have the least restrictive license agreement, I feel.

Loops don’t have to be just for dance or electronic music. I like to use them as an arranging tool for any original composition. Like adding fiddle or pedal steel to a country song. You can get a very realistic sound if you have a good ear and some knowledge of music theory. Like knowing a loop recorded in A- can sound nice in your C major composition. Or when auditioning a loop, being able to hear how it could work given some manipulation or in conjunction with a second loop. I’ve “fooled” many a listener into asking “who’s playing trombone” or flute or banjo or whatever…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Using loops…..
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us