want to sign up with a PRO – what happens to older non-PRO tracks? (germany)

Home Forums PROs want to sign up with a PRO – what happens to older non-PRO tracks? (germany)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kobiy
    Participant

Hello folks,
    I placed lots of my older tracks with non-exclusive RF-libraries. I wrote those tracks some years ago and just wanted to try if anyone actually buys my music – I was pleasantly suprised, when people actually did. So I wrote lots of tracks in a short time and yes, the quality was not top notch. It‘s okay I guess, but far from premium. I didn’t sign up with a PRO – thinking I could make more sales that way.
    I recently started making music again and I guess the quality improved a lot! I want to go a new route and focus in quality instead of quantity. Also I would like to collect backend royalties by registering with GEMA in Germany, where I will have to register all of my work.
    So here’s my question: When customers licensed my work from the RF-sites in the past because I was non-PRO and suddenly I join the GEMA – how will this situation be handled? I think that lots of people chose my work just because I was not affiliated with any PRO. If that now suddenly changes and they continue using their legally licensed tracks, they might not be pleased.
    Would be awesome if someone could chime in or point me in the right direction.
    Best wishes
    Mark

#33940 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

I recently started making music again and I guess the quality improved a lot! I want to go a new route and focus in quality instead of quantity. Also I would like to collect backend royalties by registering with GEMA in Germany, where I will have to register all of my work.

Hi mark
    1) Focusing on quality over quantity is probably one of the ONLY ways a person will survive in these very chaotic times!

2) Since you are now with a PRO, you will also have a Representative, or people that are assigned to answer these questions; and help you to best register your new & old music.

I’m not sure about how GEMA does it (I’m in The States, and all is see is their collections on my quarterly statements)
    So, I’m not sure if you can just give them a call; or even better I would send them a email (that way you have recorded a document) Let them know all the particulars, and they will get back to you.

#33944 Reply
    Kobiy
    Participant

Thanks a lot.
    After reading other threads, signing up with BMI might be a better option, since GEMA is quite restrictive and some libraries won’t accept artists affiliated with them.
    I was thinking to retitle my tracks and then register the new titles with BMI, so I can collect royalties from new licenses without causing problems for licensees who licensed track prior to me going BMI. (Maybe this is not even necessary because dealing with BMI seems to be much easier than dealing with GEMA)
    I will try and get some information from BMI.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Reply #33940 in want to sign up with a PRO – what happens to older non-PRO tracks? (germany)
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us