Wasted time??

Home Forums General Questions Wasted time??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    daveydad
    Participant

So… I was recently contacted by a reputable music library I’ve dealt with before in the past. A client of theirs liked one of my tracks but wanted it revised to sound more modern/epic, etc etc. So I made some initial changes, the production company liked what they heard and proceeded to use me. Over the next week, I probably spent 5-6 hours revising this track, even sent them stems to work with. Today I get word from them that their client wants to go in a different direction and that they may not even use my track. That’s fine, but where does that leave me and the time I spent revising it??

#23383 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

With another mix of that track to sell.

#23384 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

You mean “write” another mix? Definitely!! I just hope they don’t use my stems without my knowledge in the future.

#23386 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Absolutely, throw it up wherever with remix/alternate/variation in the title.

#23387 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Yeah… will do. But would have rather had the 4 figure payout….

#23388 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

ask for a “kill fee”. If not for this time then for the next.
    A kill fee is a pretty standard thing to ask for when working in a situation where a client may change their creative direction.

#23613 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Just a quick update on this… I was pleased to receive a nice payment for the time I spent on this track. About 60% of what the final project would have paid. 🙂

#23614 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Sounds like the library, client, or both, are honorable people. I usually don’t hear stories with a positive ending that often. Glad to hear the news.

#23615 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

And thanks to Mark Lewis for that insight on ‘kill fee’. I had never heard the term.

#23616 Reply
    Michael

I missunderstood at first Davey,I thought you meant you had managed to sell the track to somebody else for 60% of the original price but if I understand it right, now,the initiating company gave you 60% of the agreed fee.
    That is a really really nice gesture and it says a lot about you and your working relationship with them.

Well done!!!

#23617 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Right. This was a high-end ad agency so hoping I can work with them in the future.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Wasted time??
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us