What are your predictions for the impact on library music?

Home Forums General Questions What are your predictions for the impact on library music?

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    GeorgeMichael
    Participant

Has anyone here switched PROs (specifically to BMI from ASCAP)? One aspect in particular I’m worried about is any gap in royalty collection.

#34586 Reply
    UpFromTheSkies
    Participant

So, Ascap told me I was going to be made whole for cue sheets on close to 50 NHL games (going back to 2018) this quarter. After review of their email, I’m unsure this is going to happen. Do you think the Sports networks are basically not paying this quarter? Or, hopefully just paying late? Maybe the delay is due to these particular networks working out some sort of deal with ASCAP? I’ve got to imagine the money coming in from all these hugely popular sports leagues has got to be tremendous..

#34587 Reply
    jdt9517
    Participant

Here’s a piece that I hadn’t thought of. Got info today from somebody I trust in one of the major satellite/cable companies.
    The majority of this company’s revenue comes from hotels – not from residential. With the shut-down of the hotels, the hotels are not paying their license/subscription fees to the satellite/cable companies. In turn, this company has stopped paying the networks its license/performance fees.
    It makes sense that most, if not all of the satellite/cable companies make their revenue from hotels – and are probably in the same position. ASCAP’s letter starts making a lot of sense. The networks have seen the revenue from some of their biggest customers dry up. So they will have to stop paying the PRO. ASCAP’s letter indicates that this has already happened.

#34588 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

I’ve got to imagine the money coming in from all these hugely popular sports leagues has got to be tremendous..

Some of the sports channels don’t pay out any royalties – as far as I know, any ESPN air time is almost always a direct deal (no royalties), not including when ESPN has a broadcast through one of the networks. Others like BTN are surveyed into oblivion.

#34589 Reply
    uniqueplace
    Participant

Do any US channels actually pay royalties ?
    The more I think, US channels are really defrauding world composers by using an awful lot of music from all over the world and all over the world music libraries don’t pay a penny. If you are a US composer and get one cue used by an unknown Swedish channel in advertising, that US composer gets paid in 6 months.
    That’s really pathetic.

#34594 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

@ unique place – The Majority of USA TV Netwoks and Cable TV Networks do pay PRO’s who in turn do pay writers back end “performance royalties”. In the USA we have a lot obscure networks that barely anyone watches. Who Pays?
    Fox, Fox Sports, Fox College Sports, Fox News
    ABC
    NBC
    CBS
    CW
    A&E
    CNN
    CNBC
    MSNBC
    Animal Planet
    National Geographic
    Bravo
    Cartoon Network
    Nickelodeon
    MTV, VH1, Comedy Central, VICELAND, BET, Spike, TV Land (all VIACOM Properties)
    Discovery
    TLC Networks
    Superstation
    History Channel
    Lifetime
    Motor Trend
    NBA TV
    OWN
    SCIENCE
    Teen Nick
    TRUTV
    Hallmark

TV Networks that do not result in back end performance royalties (again from from my experience looking at statements)?

Big Ten Network (Owned by Fox)
    ESPN (Owned by DISNEY – SHAMEFUL!!!!!)
    SCRIPPS Networks
    NFL cable networks – perhaps BMI pays for these networks
    Univision – A Spanish language TV Network
    Telemundo – A Spanish language TV Network

Here is a good list that breaks down each network into categories; news, sports, scripted tv, premium movies, lifestyle, variety, factual, kids, etc….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_pay_television_channels

Keep in mind that there are “conglomerates” controlling the majority of TV networks – Disney, Viacom/CBS, NBC Universal, ATT/Time Warner, Discovery, Hallmark, FOX Corporation, Sony – These behemoths typically pay.

There are a lot of religious/ faith based, random local networks that are small and obscure and not really “on the radar’ that do not pay as they have tiny viewing audiences.

#34603 Reply
    AndyI
    Participant

@uniqueplace US networks pay pretty well in my experience. I’ve had great payouts for library usage on NBC / ABC

#34607 Reply
    uniqueplace
    Participant

Great… but in my case it’s terrible, PR on US channels. I’m not affilated to ascap or BMI but in a European PRO.

This is a list of ad i had last christmas 2018 (same ad)
    60 seconds AD

NBC : 3 airings (mostly afternoon)
    ABC Family : 14 airing mostly afternoon and 2 airings around 8 pm
    ION : 3 airings mostly afternoon

AMC : 12 airings mostly around 5-7 pm

ABC : 2 airings at 6 pm

TBS : 13 airings morning / afternoon

For Network : 1 airing

BET : 1 airing

Spike TV : 1 Airing ??Comedy Central :1 airing

TLC : 4 airings (3 morning and one evening )

Hallmark Channel : 2

Could someone tell me a ROUGH figure of how much i can expect for these airings ?

For now , I got around 2 dollars from my PRO. Yes you read it right, 2 fuckin’ dollars!

I’m 100 % writer share and publisher got the publisher share.
    This will help convince my publisher to do even more work to try to get the monies.

#34608 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

@ uniqueplace – We need a lot more details. So far you calculate 50 air dates, but TV commercials often run well over 1000 times in order to have an impact at all. What brand/ service/ product was being advertised on this TV spot?
    Can you post a link to the ad if it’s on youtube? or I-spot TV?

#34609 Reply
    uniqueplace
    Participant

Unfortunately, I can’t disclose any information regarding the brand to preserve my identity. The only thing I can say is it’s a pretty famous brand. Yet, it’s true, the commercial was only aired about 50-60 times during last christmas. It’s a small campaign in the US…
    The same campaign was aired a lot more in other countries in the world, Canada, UK, Spain, Italia, Germany, Netherlands, Japan.

But in terms of impact, 60 airings on national networks, IMO.. Should get a lot more money than 2 dollars.
    If i compare those numbers of airings on US channels to the same numbers to comparable TV channels in UK for instance, for a 60 seconds AD, afternoon and evening, then the figures should be around 4000 dollars.

#34613 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

US Network pays out great. probably the best in the world from my experience. i’ve personally seen as much as $100 per minute on CBS Broadcast for standard BI.

#34616 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

Hi Unique Place – Glad this is coming up you made me do a study. Here is a result of my data for TV spots from the last statement for 15 and 30 second TV ads:

Major Network performances paid $ 9.77 each on average – ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC are the 4 major networks in most homes in the USA.

Local Television performances paid $4.20 each (on average) broadcast – This seems to be skewed because I had a couple of line items that showed “lump sum” payments of $200 or so, the majority of the payouts were $1. I have a feeling the $200 line item may represent a few hundred broadcasts on one local channel. I just don’t know, but I doubt one local broadcast would ever pay $200 for a 15 second ad.

Cable TV performances paid $1.12 (on average) per broadcast.

So even if you had say 50 air plays, your royalties should have been around $200 to $350. But again, it does not make sense for any advertiser to buy just 50 TV spots. They usually buy thousands of them. No , it makes no sense that you were paid $2. Study the statement again.

#34630 Reply
    Ravi

Hi muisc1234,i like to ask you some doubts please your mail id please ?

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
Reply To: Reply #34528 in What are your predictions for the impact on library music?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us