What if I am signed as an exclusive artist and submit a track that is in another

Home Forums General Questions What if I am signed as an exclusive artist and submit a track that is in another

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jimandroz

What if I get signed exclusively for a track that I submit and have this track in another library. Do I retrieve the track so that it is now in the one exclusive library only.

Also, I am waiting with 5 great tracks to see where best to put them. If I get a really good library that wants my music exclusively then I am ready to go. Anyone else asking themselves this question? I want to be unencumbered and ready to go for the really good exclusive contract
    and yet have many libraries that want my music on a non-exclusive basis.
    Still learning the business…
    You’re thoughts are appreciated.
    R.Z.

#5593 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

jimandroz:
    What if I get signed exclusively for a track that I submit andhave this track in another library.Do I retrieve the track so that it is now in the one exclusive library only.

Depends on the deal with the non-exclusive. You might find you can’t get it released until a couple of years down the road.

#5595 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Before submitting to the exclusive, carefully check your contract with the non-exclusive. If you can’t withdraw your track quickly– such as within 30-60 days, you definitely shouldn’t submit it to an exclusive. I wouldn’t actually sign the deal with the exclusive unless you have confirmed that your track was indeed removed from the non-exclusive. Otherwise you are in contract violation.

Keep in mind that many non-exclusive agreements have minimum terms of 2-3 years and some are even in perpetuity. Some libraries will still let you remove on request, even if those are the terms. You’d have to ask.

Just be careful. The last thing you want is to create a mess whereby a library thinks they have an exclusive and finds out another party is still pitching it. Even worse would be a conflict showing up at a music sup which would make EVERYONE look bad.

🙂

#5596 Reply
    jimandroz

This is very helpful!
    Thanks
    R.Z.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Reply #5596 in What if I am signed as an exclusive artist and submit a track that is in another
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us