What to charge?

Home Forums General Questions What to charge?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    daveydad
    Participant

Someone who licensed a track of mine off a RF site would like me to custom compose for a 60 minute nature film to be released on DVD. He’s won some awards in the past for his work as a film maker. So my question is… doing this for the first time, what/how should I charge for something like this? Per hour? Per track? Per project? How much? Thanks for any input!

#16482 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

That is a lot of composing. Plan on 2 minutes per day. So, you’ll need 30 days, minimum, more depending on the complexity, if you’re not that fast.

Ask for $150 to $200 per minute, provided you keep the rights to the music, and can license it.

If they want a buyout, charge them whatever you need to make for 6 weeks work.

If they say “you’ll get exposure” …run.

Have you ever written to picture before? What DAW do you use? Do you know how to sync to QT?

BTW…there’s no backend, so you’ve got to make it all up front.

#16485 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

$150-$200/minute!? I’m pretty much a newbie at this so I would be happy getting my usual $25-$40/hr. I doubt the entire film will feature my music; but hopefully a lot. I’ve used Mixcraft for years (which has video capability) and am learning Cubase. Not sure how much syncing will be required… more like a certain length track per scene or something. Will keep ya’ll posted when and if this happens.

#16486 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’m pretty sure Michael means $150 – $200 per minute of completed music.

#16487 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Ah yeah, now that I re-think I see that. I would be glad to get $100 per minute at this stage in my journey. We’ll see.

#16488 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I’m pretty sure Michael means $150 – $200 per minute of completed music.

Correct Kiwi… per completed minute of music

There’ on rule in life that you can count on: People with the least amount of money to spend, expect the most.

Don’t be surprised if they want 60 minutes wall to wall scored to picture…which will take a huge amount of time.

#16489 Reply
    Scary_Bodega
    Participant

People with the least amount of money to spend, expect the most.

By God, it’s the truth. It really is.

Here’s the ratio: The smaller the payday, the greater the number of revisions requested.

One would expect the inverse but no.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Reply #16486 in What to charge?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us