What was/is your day job?

Home Forums General Questions What was/is your day job?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

Film sound recordist/music and sound editor/composer for about 10 years. Then film music /library composer/sound designer for another 15 years…with a dash of teaching and new age/smooth jazz artist thrown in.
    Then, a journey to the “other” side…law school and practicing law, which took about 10 years.
    Now…composing full-time.
    Oh crap…I’m old. ๐Ÿ˜‰

#14311 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Oh crap… I’m old.

Michael doesn’t even buy green bananas anymore. Now THAT’S old!!

๐Ÿ˜€

#14312 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Michael doesn’t even buy green bananas anymore. Now THAT’S old!!

Darn tootin’ you whipper-snapper! ๐Ÿ˜›

#14318 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

For the past 10 years I’ve been a studio/road musician. I’ve been writing TV music for about 3 Years now. Hoping to go full time writing cues in the next few years!

#14323 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Full time musician since graduating Berklee in 84. Once did a stint working part time for Cakewalk Music Software.

#14327 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

Only very recently did I turn pro, i.e. full time. About 15 years ago, I became a researcher in physical-chemistry, in academia for 5 years , then 10 years in a private industry. Not from a fortunate family, I had to wait for my first 2 salaries to purchase my first 8 track at 27 yrs (Fostex DMT8 souvenirs souvenirs !), although I had been playing music in bands for many years already.

Since I haven’t stopped playing / producing / learning music as a hobbyist and perfecting the craft. Last year it was time for the big jump… Itยดs been 5 months that I left that job and that I am finally pursuing my musical dream.

Current impression of the biz: quite a vast, exciting and complex world !

#14359 Reply
    mscottweber
    Participant

I’ve been a full time musician/audio engineer for about 6 months now. I work part time for an entertainment company doing voice over recording, editing and sound design, and the rest of my time is spent teaching private lessons, gigging, and composing. I only started writing production music about a year and a half ago, but I seem to be doing pretty well with it so far!

#14441 Reply
    Ldellavella

Well, right now I’m a stay at home mom to my four young children. Before that I used to be a 5th grade teacher. I’ve played piano by ear since I was 5 years old, and was always way too shy to share my songs with anyone. I don’t really know why I was so shy…I guess I was just afraid no one would like it, and I couldn’t deal with rejection. But, about a year ago, I finally decided to get over it, and just share my songs with people. I started writing again and recorded 2 cd’s. Right now I have some songs in a few libraries, and have made a few contacts, which led to writing songs for an independent film, and some music for a promotional video for a non-profit agency. So, my dream is for music to be my full time job someday, but I’m not there yet. Maybe someday.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Reply #14307 in What was/is your day job?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us